CHAPTER 10

"Shit

"Shit." Flinging curses under her breath, Sieun slipped on her trainers and rushed out the door. Down the stairs she flew, bypassing the shared lounge and the loud-mouthed girls, and into the communal garden. 

"Renjun?" Hands to her knees, she huffed to increase the level of oxygen in her system. "What's wrong?"

Renjun's eyes lit up at the sight of her. "Sieun, thank God!" He took a step towards her, but the aged security guard's wrinkly hand on his shoulder prevented him from going forward. "This is a girl's dorm, lad," He said. "Ye can't go in there."

"What?" Unfairness marred his features. "Why?"

The security guard shrugged. "Rules are rules."

"But she's right there!" He pointed at the girl behind him. "It's urgent." Franatic eyes whisked from Sieun to the guard. "Please, sir."

"I'm sorry, lad." He shook his head. "Ye can't stay here after visiting hours. Ye will have to leave the premise—"

"Wait." Sieun grabbed him by the wrist. "Can't he come inside for a few minutes?" Her gaze moved to the baby. "She needs help."

"With all due respect, it's past curfew hours. Ye can't be out here, and he can't come in. Rules are in place to maintain order. I can't let ye break it for personal reasons."

"Please," Sieun argued. "The baby is crying." Eui's shrill voice continued to echo into the night. "Let me check in on her, at least."

The guard was powerless to argue. He eyeballed the trio and gave an agreeable nod. "Five minutes. No more. No less."

With the verdict, she could breathe freely again. Hurrying over to an impatiently waiting Renjun, she extended her arms to take the baby off him. "What happened? Why is she crying?"

A frustrated sigh escaped Renjun's lips as he handed Eui to her. "I don't know, Sieun. I don't know." He was close to breaking down. "She just won't stop crying." He raked a hand through tendrils of unruly hair. "What do we do?"

Holding her close, Sieun bobbed and swayed. "Did you change her diapers?"

Renjun nodded. "I even made a bottle and fed her. But she won't stop crying."

A question knocked on the door to her head: how? But, Sieun didn't bug Renjun about how he managed to make a bottle when he lacked childcare experience despite that curiosity sitting at the back of her tongue. Instead, she focused on Eui, enveloping her in a cuddle to soothe her cries.

Eui's wailing intensified.

Sieun's desperation to stop her intensified too.

She bobbed and swayed harder.

"Why won't she stop?" Renjun's emotional discomfort yo-yoed between confusion and frustration. He paced left and right in unease. "What is wrong with her?"