CHAPTER 1

Streams of golden morning light seeped through the latticed window, casting checkered spotlights over her sleeping figure, blooming as it danced upon her skin

Streams of golden morning light seeped through the latticed window, casting checkered spotlights over her sleeping figure, blooming as it danced upon her skin. There was a hint of playfulness in the air, the white-gold light streaks illuminating everything in an ocherous rampage.

Spring, gently as it came, uplifting all souls and spirits.

Sieun turned her head over her crossed elbows, her hair tumbling over her eyes, locks of brown strands hiding the serene smile etched on her lips as she felt the sun on her face.

Peace...

"Did you watch the new Penthouse episode?" A not-so-very-quiet conversationalist entered the empty classroom, breaking the silence and her tranquility.

"I had a late night shift." The thud of a bag hitting a desk sounded from somewhere within the room. "So no spoilers, Jaeman."

Shifting her head, Sieun peered over her elbows to pry on the loud-mouthed group of bantering boys.

"Aww, I was going to discuss with you how Cheon Seojin—" Jaemin's spoiler-laced-behind-innocent-discourse was interrupted by Haechan's palm pressed against his mouth. Caging him in a headlock, he wrestled with his friend to keep him from blabbering. "I knew it. You always have to do this, don't you? Spoil an important plot development and be a bastard jerk."

Jeno's laughter vibrated through the air.

Sieun's head lolled to the side for a more comfortable view. 

Oh, damn.

People would never think she had something more productive to do than sit there, earwigging to a group of friends joshing. No. Sieun had zero plans for the afternoon. Catching up on her sleep and prying onto private conversations before class most certainly marked an entertaining gap in her busy schedule.

Jaemin managed to free his mouth. "You're acting unreasonable." His eyes glistened in a mixture of mischief and rapture. "How long will you make me suffer for sharing my joy with you?"

Haechan begs to differ, she inwardly responded, fumbling with the zipper pull.

"You talk too much." Haechan barricaded Jaemin's mouth again, and the two battled for the upper hand. Right then, the door opened, and Sieun's eyes locked on a dark-haired boy, and, for a split second, everything faded into the background. His soft features contrasted with the scowl on his face as he ignored the ruckus to beeline at his desk. He took his seat beside the window, and his friends flocked to him like chicks to Mama Hen.

Haechan smirked at his friend. "Look who decided to show up."

Renjun rolled his eyes. "The feeling's mutual."

Jaemin and Jeno settled on the seats before them. The desks in their classroom were set up for partners. Two chairs per table. The rest of the class started to fill in.