CHAPTER 8

Sieun hustled through the aisles of produce, dropping unnecessary items back to their spots while stocking on the necessities

Sieun hustled through the aisles of produce, dropping unnecessary items back to their spots while stocking on the necessities. Renjun and Eui trailed behind her like lost puppies, eyes following her rushing form, making sure to stay close so they didn't get lost amidst the shoppers. The put-together family of three garnered the attention of everyone present, the image of a young couple tending to parenting duty blossoming warmth in the hearts of the onlookers. 

"—aren't they cute?"

"I saw the father pile up two carts full of baby products—"

"—Must be new parents."

"Aren't they too young to be parents, though?"

"You're too old to be ignorant."

"Yeah, just shut your mouth—"

"I want a beer."

Sieun, too busy scanning the cart, failed to hear the varied comments of the passerby. But Renjun did, and the discussions turned the tips of his ears pink. 

"Are they students here in NCU?"

"Aww, what a cute family!"

"He's holding their baby while she's shopping—"

Awkward and shy was not how Renjun had anticipated the shopping trip to turn into. He had envisioned a quick pick-up and, eventually, an easy run to the finish line with a good credit to decorate his marksheet. 

However, since the start, nothing seemed to go as planned. The numerous emotions flashing through his features were way over his average of two— indifferent and annoyed— which stunned him because he never thought he could portray his feelings so easily, that too, before a person he hadn't interacted with since highschool... Sieun.

His eyes locked on the girl, and a tingling sadness seized his heart, the pain so strong that he had to knead his chest with the heel of his free hand to lessen it. Only, the pulsating intensified.

It was unexpected.

Renjun thought that he was way past the period to feel that way. But, it wasn't, and amidst the departmental store teeming with aimless shoppers, gossiping students, and an indifferent cashier, the place suddenly felt too small and discomforting.

He lowered his head and closed his eyes, entering a weird hazy space between awareness and ignorance. Vaguely, he perceived the hushed murmurs around him and a pair of slow, steady footsteps echoing before him. Perhaps, a shopper? Or a staff?

He should revert to indifference, open his eyes, and let the emotionlessness mask the feeling of anguish running untamed within him.

Just five more seconds.

Renjun tightened his hold around Eui. Then he moved closer to the left self so there was plenty of room to slip past him. 

The footsteps reached him, and then they stopped.