CHAPTER EIGHT

"You aren't seriously considering it are you?"

Alva's head whipped up from the tablet in front of her. The lighting in the master suite was dimmer than when she had first sat down to review one of her research files. She must have lost track of time. It happened often enough, both her husband and son had long ago stopped putting their days on hold whenever she wasn't on time. She'd gotten better in recent years but after the call from the morning, a new fire had been lit within her. One that she hadn't felt in a very long time.

"Why wouldn't I be? It's a legitimate offer." She tilted her head with a playful, confused by Zixin's stiff body language.

Her head tilted a bit to the left as she watched him robotically go through the motions from her spot on the small couch. He undid his tie first – like always. Then he walked into the en suite bathroom – like always. The faucet turned on, cold water would rush over his hands before he washed his face – like always. After that, he'd go into their large walk-in closet and change out of his suit – like always. He'd change into sweatpants and some kind of t-shirt that was full of holes and coming apart at the seams – like always.

Only when Zixin reappeared, he wasn't in sweatpants and a ratty t-shirt. He was still dressed in his slacks with his dress shirt almost completely unbuttoned. She watched his jaw working as he stood in the doorway of the bathroom.

"You can say it," she offered.

"It's a devil's contract is what it is." He blurted out immediately, his hands going to his slender hips.

"This is a once-in-a-lifetime offer. If I'm right this will...This will change everything." Alva told him excited, as she moved to sit on her knees. Her hands gripped the couch tight, her eyes widening in excitement as her smile grew.

She was more than excited about this but understood why Zixin didn't trust it. Some factors didn't look great, but every great research study or project went through a phase like that. Zixin of all people should know that he owned a lab that contributed plenty of amazing advances in technology and science. Many of which had gone through some sort of period where things weren't exactly above board.

"But at what cost, Alva?" Zixin asked with a heavy sigh.

That caught Alva off guard. She had thought they were playing. Who was he to stop her from chasing this? This opportunity was everything.

What did it matter what the cost was?

"Zi," Alva began as she stood up from the couch. She moved across the room toward him, but when she reached out for him, he pulled away.

Zixin held her gaze for so long. If he was waiting for her to speak, she didn't know what she was supposed to say. Her husband nodded his head slowly in understanding, before he let out a heavy sigh, "If what you want is to play God then go, but we won't come with you."

"Zixin!" She gasped in shock as betrayal started to sink its claws in.

"Somethings, Alva... We aren't meant to meddle with."

***

"I've changed my mind," Alva cried as Lev fastened a sketchy-looking rope around her waist, the other end of which was tied around his chest diagonally.

"Too late," Lev responded as he secured the knot, tugging on it once to test if it would hold. "Good enough!"

"Good enough?!" Alva screeched, her eyes going wide. "Lev, there are very few reasons I can think of a 'fun way' involving rope or being tied to you."