Part 8: New Family

When the police arrived to the school where it was reported the sounds of shots fired, chainsaws, and screams were coming from, they originally took everyone into custody, but as it became clear who was involved in the goings on, they had to pick a fall guy. Unfortunately for him, that meant it would have to be Rukard. So as a result, he was charged not only for the murders he did commit, but the deaths of his sister, grandfather, and his uncle's wife.

As Rukard sat and served his sentence, the years went by and the Eternal Brethren of Revolution continue to grow in power, even eclipsing the actual gods and goddesses in worship. Eventually after usurping all of the powers that were, Beedde and Huvlei became the undisputed leader and first lady of the world, Rukard grew in his hatred of Beedde and Huvlei as they even publicly did crimes in front of their own growing family and never saw a day in the cells for it.

At last, fourteen years later, under good behavior, he was released. Once released, Rukard had no idea what to do with himself.

----------------

He relaxed his fingers and as she took a breath, she pulled him closer to her in a passionate kiss, Beedde and Huvlei soon fell asleep in each other's arms. When they woke up, Beedde turned to look at the other person in their bed.

"Are they asleep?" Huvlei asked.

Beedde nudged their shoulder and they fell over, eyes wide open, blankly staring. No obvious signs of breathing, bruising around the neck.

"Nope, I guess we broke this one." Beedde laughed.

"Well, you are too much to handle. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who can." Huvlei laughed in agreement.

--------------------

It didn't take much for Rukard to learn about the maniac with the chainsaw. Someone named Vaudee Roubukim, they were called the death scientist because they loved to kill and experiments conducted by them always ended in death one way or another.

Rukard had no other choice but to think about everything those years, about getting his revenge, about his grandpa and sister. It had all happened so fast, one second, Grandpa had lost his arm protecting Meimei, the next Beedde had sliced through the back of the wheelchair and Meimei herself with that sword. He had said because Grandpa had interfered he killed Meimei, but Rukard knew his focus should now be on Vaudee.

Vaudee knew whoever they would have hit with that chainsaw would be dead, so they fully intended to kill either Meimei or Grandpa.

As Rukard began to mark up the new profile on his corkboard, he heard knocking at his door. He hadn't been expecting anyone, but he hesitantly went to the door.

There stood Minven and two others who looked familiar, but he couldn't place where he knew them.

"Noro Rukard! Long time no see, Nura Minven said she thought she might know where we could find you and here you are." The man laughed, hardily shaking Rukard's hand so much that his whole arm was shaking with it.

"You do remember us, don't you, Tou?" The woman asked expectantly.

Rukard's confusion was then broken by a flash of memory. He did remember them. The little girl who helped him when it was raining, the girl who fed the strays, the girl who was forced to drink muddy water by Huvlei, and the boy, her brother, who they broke the glasses of, would shoot paint guns at, and took the beating in place of his sister once.

"Herxia? Garikk? Is it really you?"

"Yep. Garikk and Herxia Risclin at your service, glad you remember little old us!" Garikk laughed.

"They just finished their medical licenses and started their own practice. I was surprised when they just showed up on my doorstep, and wondered how we might find you. They seem to know about your 'business' and would like to offer a partnership." Minven said carefully. Nowadays it was pretty much expected that the brethren had a watchful eye or listening ear in everything, so they could never be too careful with whatever they do.

After speaking on it a while Rukard and the twins had come to a mutual understanding, and decided to part ways for a little while, but Minven hung around. Though she didn't seem to know what to say to Rukard, they did seem to like being in each other's company.

"Are you doing okay, Rukard? I mean, what happened years ago to you, it was a lot and it was unfair."

"Do you pity me? It really was a lot. I lost my family, what was left of it."

"I wouldn't say pity. I care. I love you, I haven't stopped loving you."

Rukard tried to silence Minven, but his motion for her to stop went unnoticed, so he didn't know what came over him next, as he locked her in a kiss.

---------------------

Rukard was angry with himself for giving in, but he could no longer deny his feelings for Minven. This was bad, this was very bad. She was a known actress now, it would be even more difficult to keep it a secret if he continued to see her, and the brethren is law, they would immediately know and use her in his war with them.

He got up, trying to figure out what to do, pacing the floor. He couldn't help but soften up with each glance at her sleeping form, still he knew he had to find the resolve to wake her and get her out of there. As he went over and over things in his head, Minven stirred, and not feeling him in bed with her, awoke.

"Rukard? What are you doing up?" Minven asked, sleep still in her voice.

"I'm sorry I woke you, but there is something, and I'm really sorry I have to do this. We really can't be seeing each other anymore, you know how dangerous it is. As long as he lives, it will never be over. If you need though, I can give you until morning light to leave."

"Yes, I appreciate that. I know. I already knew before we did anything... that-" She didn't finish speaking, but they both knew what she wanted to say.

After a long embrace, Minven went to shower, while Rukard dressed and waited his turn. As he waited, Rukard used the throwaway sat phone he was given.

"Yeah, it's Rukard. I've been thinking about it, let's collaborate, I've got nothing else to do. With my record, I doubt I can find a good job anyway. Right. Where and when should we meet? Uh-huh, let me write that down."