Chapter 10

Leo's POV

"I am talking about Jade, son."

"I know who the fuck you're talking about." I replied sharply.

"Leo, that's not the way to talk to your father." My mum warned

"Yeah." Adam butt in. "Show some respect."

I didn't reply. I just kept twirling the coffee in my cup, ensuring that it didn't spill over the edge. I concentrated hard at the coffee and I could see the steam rising up from the beverage like silk.

"I understand that both of you have a history. But..."

I wasn't about to let him finish.

Pushing against the dinner table, I stood up and looked at my mum and said in a mocking tone, "Thank you so much for the dinner, Luna Cage. It was wonderful."

"Sit down Leo." My father said in a warning tone.

"Make me."

Adam stood up and was about to approach me. I noticed this and charged up my fingers, exhibiting visible sparks all over my body.

"Come closer, brother. I dare you." I said with a smile.

Immediately, the door was opened and a young warrior, probably in his teens rushed forward and took a quick bow.

"The border southeast from here has been compromised! Rogues are attacking the pack!" he said breathlessly."

"Where is the Gamma?" Adam asked, already standing up.

"He has gone with a few warriors to face the intruders." The boy said, quivering under the domineering aura of the Alpha. Every wolf gets that fear from what everyone calls the "Alpha force". I on the other hand prefer calling it the "Alpha effect". Only members of the family or those carrying the alpha blood in them are kind of immune to it.

"Stay here and protect the Luna." Dad ordered the young wolf.

I on the other hand, do not need to be told what to do. One of the roles of a Wolf-Mage is to protect his or her assigned pack.

The Alpha, his interim and I dashed off towards the breached border. The cold winds stroking up my cheeks in a loving manner. One thing I have always loved was the outdoors. It was something that I even tried to entice my then-mate to like.

"Are these breaches a regular occurrence?" I asked both Alphas.

"Yes." Dad answered. "We get them at least twice a month."

This was interesting. It seems as though they have an indefinite number of soldiers. Cause I don't know what kind of army fails repeatedly but keeps trying without taking time to re-access their conquest and plan better.

"Something is off about the recent attack that irks me though." Adam said as he jumped over a log of wood. We should have covered about 20 kilometres by now. Honestly, I was impressed by Dad's vigour, even at his age.

"In the past attacks, it seems that they were just trying to feel us out. Some of the attacks are even easily repelled by the border guards. This one however is alarming."

He didn't need to say more. We already understood. An attack that requires a support from the Alpha is not just a mere attack. We could already smell the metallic scent of blood in the air as we got closer to the border.

Up ahead, we could see wolves tearing each other apart. Some had shifted while others are still in their human form. The pack's Gamma, Bryce was tearing through the rogues like they were paper. Now, it may seem like this scuffle might make it a bit difficult to distinguish friend from foe. However, we werewolves have a very keen sense of smell. This makes warfare and battles very easy.

The two Alphas joined the battle, ensuring that no Forked River wolf was pinned down by an enemy. I on the other hand decided to survey the area. There was something that wasn't feeling right about this battle.

I found a robust rock to stand on and I used my electricity to enhance my vison and scan the bushes nearby. Soon, my vision was blocked by a mist that seemed suspicious. The mist seemed concentrated at a particular branch of an inconspicuous tree about 500 meters away from where the battle was taking place.

Mists didn't form that way. This was unnatural.

Then I remembered what Adam and Dad said about the attacks and then I decided to use my mental attacks to project towards the tree. The mental attacks are similar to the mental invasion that the Academy uses to pass information to all students at the same time. This one however, was different it had the capacity to be lethal to the recipient of the attack.

I directed my mental powers towards the area only to have it deflected.

Well, shit. I thought to myself.

The rogues have a mage assisting them. And now, he knows that the pack has one too.

I immediately rushed towards the battle and as if the mage could read my motives, four rogues attacked me immediately. Although I have a good guess of what his abilities are, I didn't want to reveal my powers to this mage, at least not now. From the mists he is using in protecting himself, his abilities are air based.

I sped up my own body's muscles and, in a flash, gave the four of them neck chops, knocking them unconscious without killing them. I'll need to interrogate them later. My ruse should work. Hopefully, he'll think I have speed-based abilities.

I rushed towards Adam and whispered into his hear. "There is a mage supporting these rogues in the woods. Tell the warriors to retreat."

"Who are you to tell me what to do?" he asked me, unwilling to listen.

"Your wolf-mage and prime adviser, you stubborn bastard." I replied.

He gritted his teeth in reply.

I did the same for Bryce and Dad. Surprisingly, dad agreed and called for a retreat. Bryce on the other hand, gave a response not too different from Adam. Rather than tell him about my position as I did for Adam, I simply threatened him.

Soon, the order was given and everyone started retreating into the inner confines of the pack. As I predicted, the rogues retreated as well. I could sense that the mage was also retreating, but I wasn't finished yet.

I clasped my palms together and the cloud turned grey at the other side of the forest, exactly where the rogues are. I then used my mental powers to track the mage. When I could get an accurate prediction of where he is, I did what I knew how to do best.

I turned my back and smiled as the satisfactory sound of a lightning strike hit my target.

My pack members were too busy following orders to notice what I had done. But my little act didn't go past my dad's eye unnoticed.

As the squabble quelled down a bit, the pack warriors were given further instructions on what to do. I on the other hand, need rest, and there were only two places I actually felt safe in this pack. I had visited one this afternoon. The other place was at Trevor's, and that's where I'll be spending the night.