AA V1 Alagore, Chapter 13

Start from the beginning

That was when the IRiSS turned to the captain and said, "Captain. I, your command."

Knowing he could use some cover, Ryder ordered the IRiSS to take point and escort the captain to his team.

Seeing his opportunity to break cover, the captain left the bunker and rushed down the slope. Moved through the exterior defensive line to where his team was. He saw friendly soldiers firing from their positions or seeking cover. Flechette and energy bolts impacted all around him, straying around over direct.

A large incendiary explosion near him caught some of the sandbags and tents on fire. He pulled down his helmet silver VISOR to protect his eyesight. The Hesco bastion withstood the intense pressure from enemy weapons, providing stable protection.

When the captain reached the exterior defensive line, his HUD highlighted the Combat Fire Team-1 position. The team was holding a Hesco bastion bunker network with the 2nd platoon of Charlie Company. They stared at the primary slope leading directly to the temple from this position.

Dodging enemy fire, Ryder felt like he flew into the Hesco bunker as he entered, desperate to escape being in the open. He was greeted by his second in command, Warrant Officer 1 Rommel King. The IRiSS took position by the wall, assisting the team with extra fire support.

"I thought you were calling in sick, sir," King said.

"If I knew that was an option, I might have," Ryder replied. "What is the situation?"

"Just rain so far," King said. "How well we held then in Salva must have given them a second to pause."

"How well we held?" Higgins said as he turned from his station. "We got thrown out of that city before their main force arrived."

Rommel King turned to the Air Force Sergeant. "And yet, Comanche is alive. Their mistake and make them pay for it."

"First to fight!" Everyone in the unit yelled a section of the Minutemen motto. 

That was when everyone noticed the sunshine slowly started to fade as a low-level dark cloud started covering the temple. 

"Where the hell did this darkness come from?" Gonzales asked. "I thought it was supposed to be morning?"

"I have no idea," Ryder replied. "Probably some magical spell."

"That is starting to get on my nerves," Forest said. "But it should give us additional cover."

Seeing that Ryder XO had the team situated in the defense, he pulled Rommel to the side. "Don't expect this to last long; they're just trying to soften us up. I don't expect special tactics this time around. I think they are going to strike us hard."

"Because any delay gives more time to Fraeya to open the Bridge? King asked.

"Exactly."

The ground shook from a nearby explosion, impacting one of the Ranger's bunkers. Based on the report over the radio, the bunker was consumed by ice, trapping the gunner within it with an additional soldier arm also being trapped by the rune artillery around.

Ryder already knew that the first man was already dead. This was not a comic book where you thawed the trapped person, and they were good to go. There was no way of changing that result. The other Ranger would lose his arm.

"This is going to get ugly quick," King commented.

Mathew Ryder couldn't respond as he already accepted that reality. All he could hope was that God was on their side today. But he also understood miracles only happened by those who acted, so he was not prepared to give up now.