Chapter 12

Rex

"She's your wife. Treat her as your equal."

"I'll treat her as my equal when she'll be my wife in the true sense."

Broken, shattered and corrupted just like me.

Life slowed down so much, things I never cared about are all I seem to think about these days.

A smile blossomed on my face. My own words from my wedding day rang in my ears.

Now she's mine in the true sense.
Broken, shattered and corrupted.
But I'll mend her. I'll heal her.
She'll be my sunflower.

"I love you." I repeated. My eyes sparkled, shining bright green like emeralds, dark yet captivating. She was stunned into silence. Her heart thumped loudly.

"He-loves me?" Every beat of her heart screamed in extreme shock. Thoughts speak volumes but they don't yell. I can read my wife like an open book. I've started to understand her unspoken words, the whispers of her heartbeats and it's so addictive that dims the allure of all else around me except her.

Lost track of time, and now I'm stuck wanting something I never thought I did. Now I have all the time in the world, and I'm after something I never even considered. My wife. Mine. My heart swelled at the mere mention of her.

"I know these are the words you never anticipated to hear or feel in our marriage because-" I caressed my thumb over our intertwined hands attempting to coax and reassure her but she cut me off.

"Because I always knew you're a monster. But you're past that. You're a psychopath and psychopaths certainly have no understanding of love." She yelled angrily, jerking her hands away from mine and abruptly getting up from the bed.

But it wasn't her words that triggered me; it was the coldness in her tone, mirroring her heart. Completely numb, unable to feel anything.

I didn't blame her. I can't hold her accountable for my doing. My hatred ran so deep that corrupted her to the point her heart, devoid of hatred learnt to hate.

Now she couldn't look past it even if I bared my soul and tore my heart out of the ribcage. But that won't deter me. Nothing will ever. Her hatred won't hinder me. I will make her trust in me, in my love once and for all.

I stood up and walked after her like a desperate puppy trailing behind for attention. I was one-only for her.

Two strides and she was against me, back in my arms-her rightful place.

"I love you Arabella Rex Riviera and nothing will ever change that." I gritted out with clenched jaw. "At first, I didn't understand the depth of my emotions for you. I didn't realise what I felt for you before. When we first met, I owed you for saving my father and his hard earned respect. And when I finally married you, my past interfered and I grew obsessive. I must confess, my obsession was not healthy, and it still lingers. As time passed, you were the only woman on my mind. I couldn't let go of you. It took hurting you and seeing you suffer, for me to realise the extent of my feelings." I confessed, my expression serious and solemn.

"You don't," she snapped. "You don't know what love is," seething, she yanked her elbow out of my grasp because I let her.

"I didn't know what love is. I couldn't define what I felt for you; it was unfamiliar territory. Normally, I have a grip on my emotions, but with you, they're chaotic. I can't keep myself together; it's like my heart has a mind of its own, racing uncontrollably. It beats so fast that sometimes I feel as if it would explode, and I'm unable to do anything about it. I'm no longer composed or collected; everything falls apart."