Chapter 05

Arabella

I chase after peace like a shadow in the night.

Peace dances on the horizon, just out of reach.

Now sitting alone in the cafeteria, relishing a moment of peace amidst the chaos of my life, felt regretful.

“Mhm.”

I felt a prickling sensation at the back of my neck that made me squeeze my eyes shut tightly. My fists clenched the fabric of my knee-length dress so hard that my knuckles turned white.

Disgust. Anger. Hatred. Loathe. Violated.

No words could adequately convey the overwhelming mix of emotions swirling inside me at that moment.

With clenched teeth and a pounding pulse, I immediately stood up, feeling the heat of anger coursing through me. Despite the intensity of my emotions, my reaction was swift, almost instinctual.

It all happened in the blink of an eye.

Turning around, I locked eyes with Marcus Madden, a senior—widely known, whose reputation preceded him. He had a knack for drawing attention to himself, and not in a subtle way.

"Never approach me like that again, Mr. Madden, unless you want to face the consequences," I warned through gritted teeth. He chuckled, taunting me.

"Consequences? What consequences, Love?" I didn't hesitate to respond.

"You'll wish you were never born."
He burst into laughter, as if my words were nothing more than a joke.

"How have you been, my love?" he greeted, his smirk oozing with arrogance as he moved closer to me, totally neglecting my threat.

"Mind if I sit with you?" he asked, attempting to lean in closer again. I stepped away and grabbed my bag from the table, making sure to bump the hard corner into him. He winced.

I kept my lips pressed together, trying to stay calm. I didn't want to create a scene, but I couldn't just let him get away with invading my space.

I'm married, and even if I wasn't, it doesn't mean I'm interested.

"You have a death wish, don't you? You must surely want trouble Mr. Madden. Maybe you should. Your life seems pretty pointless anyway. It would be better if you just left," I said sharply, hoping he'd feel embarrassed and leave.

But Marcus was never one to be deterred so easily. He chuckled, brushing off my insulting words as if it were nothing.

"Come on, don't be like that. I just wanted to chat, get to know you better Abella." He whispered seductively. Keyword—Tried to.

"Mrs. Arabella Riviera," I snapped, shooting him a glare and cringing—feeling a shiver of disgust at the name. It was like nails on a chalkboard every time I heard it.

He scoffed, leaning casually against the chair and shifting his weight onto one leg, his hand resting casually on the top of the chair.

"I'd rather go by Madden," he smirked, as if he had just said something incredibly clever.

I felt a surge of irritation bubbling within me as I repeated myself, this time with more emphasis. "I'm married and certainly not interested in you, Mr. Madden. Choose your fate and tormenter wisely.”  I stole Mr. Riviera's words and I wasn't regretting.