The Death of the Hand

In the year 101 AC, Prince Baelon the Brave, renowned as the Spring Prince, Hand of the King, Prince of Dragonstone, and heir to the Iron Throne, embarked on a hunt in the Kingswood. However, his joyous expedition took a sombre turn when he complained of a stitch. Over the next four days, he lay bedridden in the Tower of the Hand, his health deteriorating rapidly.Sensing his time was near, the Prince summoned his eldest son, Prince Viserys, to his bedside. As Viserys entered, his eyes brimming with concern, Baelon gestured for him to take a seat beside him.

"Father, you sent for me. What do you wish to discuss?" Viserys inquired anxiously."My dear son," Baelon began, his voice weak but determined, "I fear my days in this world are numbered. In my final moments, I wish to impart some wisdom to you. Please, listen closely.""But Father, you mustn't speak of such things. You will recover, and you'll witness Aelor and Rhaeynra's growth," Viserys pleaded, tears welling in his eyes.

Baelon reached out to wipe away his son's tears, his touch gentle yet firm. "Listen, Viserys. My health fades, and with it, the stability of the realm hangs in the balance." He continued his words carrying weight and urgency. "Upon my passing, the throne will be left without an heir, sparking a conflict within our family. Rhaenys and Corlys will press their claim through Laenor, while you will garner support from Daemon and many lords, rightfully claiming your place as the eldest male descendant of the King. But I foresee the danger in Aelor's future. The lords will seek to wed their daughters to him, hoping to secure their influence on the throne. This division threatens the very foundation of our house." With a solemn gaze, Baelon implored his son, "Promise me, Viserys. Promise me that you will unite our family through the union of our grandchildren. Let their marriage bring peace and strength to our house."

Viserys, overcome with emotion, nodded solemnly. "I promise, Father."

Tragically, the next day brought news of Prince Baelon's demise, attributed to a burst belly by the Grand Maester Runicter. A lament echoed from the dragon pit as Vhagar mourned her rider, before soaring off towards the narrow sea.

The realm plunged into mourning, with House Targaryen bearing the brunt of the grief. Queen Alysanne, already burdened by the loss of her children to the Stranger, succumbed to despair upon hearing of her son's death. She retreated to her chambers, inconsolable in her grief, even the laughter of young Prince Aelor failing to bring solace.

As predicted by Baelon, his passing left the throne without a clear heir, igniting tensions within the realm. Corlys championed Rhaenys and Laenor's claim, while Daemon rallied behind Viserys.

Recognizing the looming threat to his house, the King made a wise decision to convene the Great Council at Harrenhal. He understood that the only force strong enough to tear down the house of the dragon was itself.