The Guilt Trip

"-we need the money Sam. This museum has been in the family for generations. I am not about to let it go, it's my whole life, son, you must understand."

"Dad, I do understand. I practically grew up here. But you cannot go anywhere that exotic at your age. How do you know it is even real? It could be all a myth, a legend, folklore, mere fantasy for native superstition and tourism. We need someone who is experienced in the feild, with the culture, and the natives. And we need to pay this person! " Sam warned.

He and his father have had this discussion dozens of times. It got no where. Sam was going to have to find another job with his skills and that was that. He really cared about his family's museum but they couldn't keep it open, they're loosing money. Sam was planning to buy it back when a better job comes along. His parents were extremely wealthy, millionaires really. But none of it was his. He had two older sister's assisting with their half of the family accountant business. Sam had a share too, but it wasn't his passion. It wasn't his father's wish either, they both loved history. Their muesum was a hobby. It killed both of them slowly day by day. But the world didn't allow for happiness, not for their kind, not for anyone. Sam wanted to carve his own path doing what he loved.

"Oh boys?" A teasing voice called.

Both Sam and his father turned to see his mother standing on the second floor balcony of the museum. It was after closing time and it was just the three of them remaining in the building.

"Jane? I thought you were home."

"I was but I decided to come pick you two up. I heard bickering. Is something wrong Luke?" She asked, sensing my father's frustrated tone.

" Well, dear I was just about to tell him."

"With out me present? I don't think so! I'll be right down!" She replied, stepping on to the escalater.

"Tell me what?" Sam asked them, intrigued.

"Your mother and I are not going to the Amazon. We decided to send you."

Sam's mouth dropped open "Me? I have never been out in the feild, I've spent my whole career in the lab for a reason. I'm in my comfort zone. Are the tickets refundable? "

"No Sam. We purchased nonrefundable, first class tickets with your name on it." His mother explianed.

"Then we have to find someone else!" Sam responded nervously.

"Son, we can't trust anyone else. Not with the information we have. And certainly not with treasure."

Sam sat on a marble stair step, trying to calm himself.

"I've been out of the country for business, but... this will be different. I hate traveling out of Chicago! "

His father knelt in front of him, like he was talking to a child "South America is one of the few places where your mother and I have felt alive and have sensed the human spirit, despite social barriers. It's life changing and it will be different, possibly scary. But you will find your true self."

"Besides," his mother added "think of my medical bills for my cancer. You wouldn't want me to be in constant, agonizing pain do you? If you find the Serpent's Fang our museum will be on the map! We won't have any financial worries at all! You would mark history. This museum is all we have left... If not for us do it for what you love."

Her medical bills. I didn't think of that. I have to buy a museum and pay for medical bills. Sam thought.

"You know we wouldn't be doing this if we could find an investor intrested in helping out. But we need the help."