Chapter 17 : I'm here, Lo'ak

As the first light of dawn filtered through the cracks in the hut's walls, I stirred from my restless sleep, my heart pounding in my chest. Panic surged through me, a flood of fear and confusion engulfing my senses. My mind felt foggy, memories slipping through my grasp like sand through my fingers.

"Lo'ak!" I gasped, my voice trembling with urgency. "I have to find him!"

Beside me, Ao'nung stirred, his hand reaching out to gently grasp mine. His touch was warm and reassuring, grounding me in the midst of my turmoil. "Y/n, it's okay," he murmured, his voice a soothing balm to my frayed nerves. "You're safe. Lo'ak is safe. You don't need to worry."

But the fear refused to abate, swirling around me like a tempest. I sat up , my breath coming in short, ragged gasps. Images flashed before my eyes, fleeting and disjointed, leaving me feeling more disoriented than ever.

"Where am I? What happened?" I demanded, my voice trembling with uncertainty.

Ao'nung's gaze softened as he looked at me, his eyes filled with concern. He squeezed my hand gently, his touch a lifeline in the darkness. "You're in the metkayina village," he explained patiently. "You were hurt, but you're safe now. everyone is here, and so am I. You're not alone."

But the memories remained elusive, slipping through my fingers like water. "I don't remember," I admitted, my voice barely a whisper. "Everything is hazy, like a dream."

Ao'nung's heart sank at my words, a pang of sadness echoing through his chest. He had hoped that I would wake with clarity, but now he realized that the road ahead would be fraught with uncertainty. "It's okay," he murmured, his voice gentle. "You don't have to remember right now. Just focus on the present, on the fact that you're safe and surrounded by people who care about you."

But the fear still gnawed at me, relentless in its grip. I shrank back against the pillows, my eyes wide with terror. "Where is he ? I have to find Lo'ak," I insisted, my voice rising in panic. "He needs me, and I need him. I can't just stay here while he's out there somewhere."

Ao'nung's heart ached at my words, a sense of helplessness washing over him. He reached out, his hand cupping my cheek gently, his touch a silent promise of comfort. "Listen to me, y/n," he said, his voice firm but gentle. "Lo'ak is safe. We found him, and he's here with us. You don't need to worry about him. Right now, the most important thing is for you to rest and recover. We'll figure everything else out together, I promise."

As I rose from where I had been resting, frustration bubbled up inside me like a storm ready to burst. Ao'nung let out a groan, showing he understood my impatience, but I couldn't slow down now. My body moved on its own, driven by the urgent need to see Lo'ak for myself. But before I could make my escape, Ao'nung's grip on my hand stopped me in my tracks, forcing me to meet his worried gaze.

"Come on, y/n," he pleaded, his voice filled with genuine concern. "You gotta chill out. You're still innjured. But Lo'ak's good, I swear. You'll see him soon enough."

His words, though gentle, only served to deepen the frown etched on my face, the frustration within me threatening to spill over. "Don't tell me what to do," I shot back, my voice carrying the weight of my stubbornness. "You'd do the same for your sisters."

My hand slipped from his grip, my resolve unshaken as I moved towards the door. But Ao'nung, solid and unwavering, stood firm in my path, a wall of determination in his stance. wearing his signature smirk.

"Move," I demanded, my tone edged with frustration and a hint of anger.

But Ao'nung remained resolute, his arms folded across his chest as he met my gaze head-on, a playful glint in his eyes. "You ain't goin' nowhere, y/n," he declared, his voice firm but gentle. "Lo'ak's fine. I know you're stubborn, but so am I. I can't let you go off. Not after what happened last time. i don't want to lose you again"