one

***ATTENTION: Please make sure you read the prologue or else this entire story will make z e r o sense. Thank you!!!***

I was so excited for today. The thought of moving out of La Grande and having a fresh start in a completely different city, for university, was just refreshing. I packed my bags and started driving. Four hours later, I finally reached my destination; Portland State University. The first thing I was sure of doing was to make my way to the residence I would be living at.

Thankfully, it was a co-ed floor which meant there would be less girl drama than expected. I was grateful, since I specifically asked for no roommate so nobody would be able to distract me from my studies.

After lugging my bags to my room, it didn't take me that long to decorate it. I decided to go meet my neighbours since I wouldn't be living with a roommate.

I hesitated before knocking, 'should I do this' I thought. Before my mind could stop me, I knocked.

"Hello, I'm Scarlett and I'm your new neighbour." I said trying to sound as polite as possible.

"Well hello Scarlett, I'm Ashton and congrats on getting the best neighbour ever. Also that's my roommate Michael. Why don't you come inside?" He opened the door wider for me.

"Hi, are you - were you, the person who was just at the door?" I'm assuming who Michael was, said while using his fingers to motion what just happened.

"Yeah, are you uh -" I said looking confused, back at Ashton.

"Michael, and you must be?"

"Scarlett." I said while we both shook hands.

"Ooo Scarlett, that's a pretty name. So, uh how's it going?"

"Um, it's going good?" I said, slightly confused by his question. We were both awkwardly smiling until he thankfully called Ashton.

"Yo Ash, let's go get some lunch in favour of Scarlett." He shouted across the room while smiling back at me.

"Sure, I know this new Indian place that's like 10 minutes away!" He replied.

-

We entered the restaurant and found a booth to sit in. Michael and I sat on one side while Ashton sat on the other.

"Holy shit, it smells amazing in here!" Michael said. Ashton and I chuckled in response.

"So Scarlett do you know what you're ordering?" Ashton asked, eyeing the menu.

"I heard that butter chicken is a really good dish so I'll be getting that. What're you guys getting?"

"Ooo, I'm getting tandoori chicken, that is a-ma-zing." Michael said pronouncing each syllable.

"Uhhh, I'll just get beef curry?" Ashton said, coming out more as a question.

Once the waiter came Ashton spoke for us, "Hi, uh, we'll be getting one butter chicken, one tandoori chicken, and beef curry."

"Great, would you like rice or naan bread as your side?" The waiter asked. Michael, Ashton, and I all shared a look with each other before confirming.

"We'll take naan bread please." Ashton said.

"Okay, your food will arrive shortly."

"While we're waiting for the food, can you guys tell me how you met?" I eagerly asked.

"Okay it's a really long story. You sure you want to hear it?" Michael asked.

"Yeah sure." I said, nodding for reassurance.