Chapter 9: Tavern Encounter

With Laevatein successfully acquired and its bearer safe and beginning to choose her own path, the group of Apprentice Knights leave Molten Mine to cool down and tend to each other. Shadow was still concerned about Arondight, who was still scorching even after they left and not waking up.

"Is she going to be okay?" Blaze asked, still feeling guilt from inadvertently causing Arondight's overheating. Shadow sighed.
"I'm not sure. The extent of the overheating is severe."

Caliburn closed his eyes for a moment, before responding with relief in his voice.
"She's alright. Just unconscious from the ordeal. We just need to find a nearby lake and she should recover in no time. Until then, let's be careful not to overexert her in the future." With that, there was a collective sigh of relief among the group, although Blaze still appeared troubled. Shadow noticed this and offered,

"Don't blame yourself, Blaze. It was a heated situation, and you did what you had to do."
"Yeah, the Knight of the Grail was a tough one." Sonic continued, with the others nodding in agreement.
"Hmph. I still think your a Knave." Caliburn scolded Sonic, who rolled his eyes in annoyance.
"Caiburn, can ye not-"
"Be gruff for a minute?" The Galatine Twins asked.
"Thank you, Galatine." The blue hedgehog replied, before turning his attention back to his sword companion. "We need to help your girlfriend before you can scold me."
"Oh hush, you!" The sword snapped back at his wielder blushing in embarrassment, while the others laughed a bit.

"We Sacred Swords, Sonic." Gala retorted. "We art incapable of-"
"Falling in love or engaging in romantic relationships." Latine finished. Knuckles looked at them with an unconvinced expression.
"Uh huh. Sure." Silver spoke sarcastically while he and Jet were tending to their horses. "What do you think, Jet?"

"Eh, Straight, Homo, Platonic, I see no difference. Love is love." The green hawk shrugged. "Right, girl?" The horse simply snorted in response, causing the group to chuckle. "Well, Ryder seems to agree with me."

A small whirlwind of earth suddenly formed nearby, and Merlina emerged from it, making the others content to see a familiar face.

"Merlina!" Sonic exclaimed excitedly as the mage shapeshifted into a lynx and dusted her robes, before bowing to them.
"I saw all that transpired in my reflecting pool." She said. "I am grateful for thy efforts and am relieved to see you all safe."

"It's not over yet." Knuckles replied. "We need to help Arondight first."
"Finally you guys acknowledge my sword's condition." Shadow remarked with a hint of frustration. "I can't use her to fight, let alone put on the scabbard."
Merlina looked at the unconscious sword in the scabbard and carefully touched it, before immediately recoiling at the intense heat radiating from the blade.
"Indeed, the situation is dire." she acknowledged, her brows furrowed in concern. "Fortunately Misty Lake is a few hours from here. If we hurry, we might make it there by morning or so."

"Well, what're we waiting for? Let's go!" Sonic announced, before he boosted to Misty Lake, with the others close behind. The royal wizard looked surprised, realizing she forgot their speed.
"But, with their velocity, we'll make it by sunset!" she added to herself, chuckling at her miscalculation, before quickly following after them.

Time Skip:

After a long day of travel, the group finally made it to Misty Lake. The serene body of water shimmered beautifully under the setting sun, providing a peaceful atmosphere for the weary travelers. They prepared to set up a makeshift camp near the shallow sides of the lake, tending to their wounds and resting after the intense battle. Some even went in the waters to cool off from the intense heat of Molten Mine.

"Alright, bring her here. Slowly..." Caliburn, who changed forms instructed Shadow, who carefully and delicately handed Arondight to the lion. As soon as the sword touched the cool water, a cloud of steam rose up, and the heat slowly began to dissipate. They all watched in anticipation, hoping for the best.