Chapter 8: The Knight of the Grail

Sonic and friends are now at Nimue's home, processing what the Lady told them as they have a bit of her nerve-calming tea while the horses take a drink.

"I see now." Sonic concluded. "So, if I got this correct, we have to defeat the Knights of the Round Table, and collect their swords?" He then points to the sacred swords, who were in their respective mobian forms and sitting politely in a regal manner.

"Yes." Nimue replied. "The Sacred Swords are connected with Excalibur, and their magic combined should dispel the power of immortality from the scabbard that protects the king."

"How many swords are we talking about?" Knuckles asked.
"It been told that nine sacred swords-"
"were created. With Excalibur being the first." Galatine replied.

"We only collected you to stop Lancelot and Gawain from throwing away their lives." Shadow commented. "Didn't think we'd actually need them for our mission."
"Beg your pardon?" Arondight asked with an offended tone.
"I didn't mean it like that, I meant that I'd didn't think we'd need you guys specifically to defeat King Arthur."

The viper looked calmer after his clarification, before turning to the others.
"If we are capable of distorting the scabbard's magic together, then we'll have to get Laevatein, Balin and the Pinel Twins next."

"Sounds risky." Silver spoke worriedly.
"Sounds simple enough." Knuckles commented
"Sounds like a walk in the park!" Sonic answered confidently.

"We'll see about that." Caliburn retorted, making the others confused.
"Hey, cmon! Isn't it about time you gave me and my friends at least a little credit?"
"It's not that. I am worried if you'll be able to survive the three remaining Knights, especially Percival de Gales."

"'Dame' Percival, I'm presuming?" Blaze asked. Caliburn nodded.
"Yes. Dame Percival is the Knight of the Grail and Laevatein's bearer. She is as strong as she is noble. One mistake could be thy last."
"And if I'm correct, she looks just like me?"
"Yes. How did you come to that conclusion?"
"One of the kids in Camelot Castle mistaken me for her."

"You're worried about Percival specifically because...?" Silver asked.
"One of the many codes that a knight must follow is to never underestimate their foe, including a dame. Most of Percival's foes made such fatal mistake and paid with their lives."
"Don't worry!" Sonic spoke reassuringly, placing his hand on the lion's shoulder. "I've got you, the Great Sacred Sword of the Crown by my side!"

This caught Caliburn and the others by surprise. They never saw Sonic acknowledge his sword in such a respectful manner.
"Why-Of-of course! I-It's about time you figured that out."

"If you're worried we're gonna underestimate her because she's a woman, then don't fret, it's not my style. I'm not gonna underestimate her; I'm gonna make this look so easy, she won't even know what hit her! Besides, I've gotten pretty used to you too."
"That is exactly what I told you not to do."

The rest chuckled and giggled in amusement, then Nimue used her magic to create a holographic version of the map on her table, only there was a small dot on the Outlands. Her expression then turned to worry as she turned to Arondight.

"Percival is at her main battleground, Molten Mine." Arondight looked nervous at the mention of Molten Mine, and Shadow looked at her concerned.

"What's up?"
"Let's just say..." Arondight paused, before responding. "Being the sword to never lose its edge has its negative traits..."
"Oh, I get it, you can't handle the heat." Jet teased, giving Arondight a playful nudge.

The Galatine Twins chuckled at the remark, while Arondight huffed in annoyance. Nimue smiled warmly at the group, appreciating their lightheartedness amidst the upcoming challenges they would face.