Chapter 3: Settling In a New Home

Cheshma Hospital, Cheshma Town, Roria

After Donald was discharged, he thought he'd have to survive on the streets or make a shelter in the Gale Forrest. He had no money, and he was surprised he didn't have an unpayable hospital bill shoved in his face.

It's not like this would be the first time I had to survive on the streets, he reminded himself, but I'd just need to be more wary of the creatures of this world. Angry Loomians are much more dangerous than being chased by an angry stray dog.

"Donald Na?" A man and a woman, both with brown hair and chestnut eyes, asked Donald as he exited the hospital.

I haven't been here long enough to gain any enemies, but there's no telling if these people have heard about my situation and are attempting to take advantage of me. "Yes," Donald replied, "I'm Donald Na."

"I'm Cora, a Loomian Researcher," the woman introduced herself and her husband, "and this is my husband, Doug, a Loomian Archeologist."

Donald recalled how one of the nurses had mentioned that a researcher had brought him to the hospital. "Were you the one who found me?"

"Yes," Cora answered, "and after we heard about your current situation, we'd like to open up our home to you."

"Why?"

"We've got an extra room to spare." Doug said, "My wife and I always thought about having kids of our own, but we ended up being too busy with our work. So, what do you say? Would you like to stay with us?"

Since this is an entirely different universe, I should also be more wary of the weather and climate. I don't know how similar it is to my universe. Donald thought, It could end up being much more severe or worse than the weather I've experienced. It would be preferable that I have a roof over my head.

"What do you want in return?"

"Oh, you don't have to do anything—"

"I'd feel bad if I don't contribute anything in return for your hospitality," Donald insisted.

"Oh, then if you don't mind, you can help me take care of the Loomians at the lab," Cora said. "There are a lot of Loomians, especially since we have many trainers that send them to our lab when their team is full."

Working alongside a researcher would help me learn more about this world. "Alright," Donald agreed, "I'll accept your offer."

~Donald Na: A Hero's Journey~

Route 1, Roria

After having bought some necessities, such as clothes for Donald, they loaded everything into the car and started driving. Donald was surprised when they left the gates of Cheshma Town.

"We live in Mitis Town," Doug explained, "and I even have a digging site nearby. Don't worry, there won't be too long of a car ride, though, because we just need to pass through Route 1."

"Route 1's not that big," Cora added, "and you'd probably be able to get through it by foot within an hour or two."

"Which Loomians live here?" Donald inquired.

"Since it's such a small route, there isn't too much variety," Cora said, "but we have Cathorn and its two evolutions, Propae and Cyanomoth. Next we have Twilat and two of its evolutions, Umbrat and Luxoar. Very rarely do we see its third possible evolution in the wild, Tiklipse, because that would happen only if Twilat knows the move Gloominous Roar by the time it turns Level 22. And lastly, there are Twittle, and its two evolutions, Paratweet and Avitross."

Donald found it rather strange that Loomians had levels, but he didn't question it. After all, there were some Loomians that could breathe fire, or expel large amount of water, or electrocute people.

~Donald Na: A Hero's Journey~

Cora and Doug's House, Mitis Town, Roria

Donald was surprised by how normal their house was. It was—if anything—just a bit larger than the average home. He expected there to be major differences to accommodate Loomians. Maybe the materials are different from ones used to build houses back in my universe, but they just look similar. The materials here would have to be more durable and resistant to Loomian attacks.

They entered the house, and Donald noted how spacious it was. It was a relatively simple house, and on the first floor was the living room, kitchen/dining room, and one bedroom. There was a staircase that led upstairs.

"There's this spare bedroom here," Cora said as she pointed over at the bedroom, "and there's another spare bedroom upstairs. Doug and mine's room is upstairs, all the way down the hall. The bathroom is in between the two upstairs bedrooms. You can choose which bedroom you want as your own."

"Do you have any allergies?" Doug asked.

"No."

"Take all the time you need to settle in," Doug said, "and we'll prepare dinner in the meantime."

"Thank you." Donald decided the first floor bedroom would be preferable, since it was closer to the front and back doors in case he needed to make a quick escape.

Donald brought his stuff to his chosen bedroom. It was relatively simple; there was a bed, a couch, a coffee table, a TV, a shelf that was partially filled with books about archaeology and Loomians, a desk, a chair, a drawer, and a closet. 

He first put away all of his clothes into the drawers and the closet. He put some notebooks and stationary that he had picked out and placed them on his desk. He put the books he had also picked out and put them onto his bookshelf.

Donald sat on his bed and turned on his phone to scroll through the photos he had of Kingsley. Fortunately, the outlets in Roria were similar to the ones in Korea, so he was able to plug his phone in and charge it.

I wonder what Kingsley is up to. I hope he's doing well. I hope he's eating and sleeping properly.

He recalled his last order before he had dismissed everyone. He was against disbanding the Union, but I wanted to disband it, so he had no choice but to listen to me. I wonder if—now that I'm missing—he'll continue the Union. That was the most I've ever seen him be against a decision I made.

~Donald Na: A Hero's Journey~

Author's Note: I named the Player's Parents Cora and Doug. They were just two random names that popped up in my head. Next chapter, we're going to see how things are back in Yeongdeungpo.