XIV

It was 2 am, and Iris's eyes were wide open, her mind filled with thoughts swirling like a storm. It was time for her to leave this place, the only place that had begun to feel like home for her.

As she wrote a note to Steve, her fingers trembled more than she had expected. In just a few weeks, Steve had reminded her of her own fragility. Being open and vulnerable in this letter was the least she could do for him. She put down her apologies and gratitude, telling him that he deserved something better, simpler, than the chaos she would have brought into his life if she had stayed, and her inability to form any relationship with Bucky, and that he wasn't ready either. Having two team members who don't trust each other is a recipe for a dead man.

She left the note on her bed and eventually found herself in the kitchen. The low hum of the refrigerator was the lone sound punctuating the stillness of the night, but she soon realized she wasn't alone. Stark was there, perched at the kitchen counter, a half-drunk mug of coffee in his hand and a contemplative look on his face.

"Insomnia?" he asked, his gaze meeting hers.

"Something like that. What about you?" she whispered back in the quiet room.

He shrugged, "Had to do some research."

"Hope it's better than the one you did on me," Iris teased.

A moment of silence passed between them before Stark finally broke it. "So, you're leaving us then?" His words caught her off guard. She hadn't expected him to know. But then again, this was Tony Stark, a man known for his unusual ability to know things he wasn't supposed to.

"I am," she admitted, maintaining eye contact. There was no point in denying the truth. Stark nodded, taking a sip of his coffee before speaking again. "I get it," he said, his voice soft, understanding. "But let me tell you: you can't run forever"

"I'm not running, this isn't my place, this is not what I am supposed to do," Iris protested.

"Oh no, Iris, don't give me that bullshit," Stark countered, putting down his mug. "You are running from Steve AND Bucky. You're scared of Steve because, after years alone, you've built quite the character for yourself - strong, independent, capable of stopping 20 men with just your knives. The idea of someone taking care of you and potentially falling for you is scary; I understand that. As for Barnes, whatever history you two share is apparently even scarier to face."

"But you can't just keep running from your past, Iris," Tony continued, his voice carrying a note of sincerity she hadn't expected. "And from what I've seen, you fit right in with this crazy family of ours, even if you don't realize it yet."

Stark's words resonated deep within her. He was right. She had been running, running from her past, her feelings. She wasn't sure she was ready for it, ready to face it all.

"Maybe you're right, Tony," she finally admitted, her voice barely above a whisper, her words hanging in the air like an unfinished sentence. "But even if I wanted to stay, this isn't what I'm cut out for. I'm no hero and never will be," she added, a touch of bitterness creeping into her voice. Her gaze didn't falter as she continued, "I'm definitely not reliable or trustworthy. Didn't you hear James?" she scoffed, the irony not lost on her.

"So you're saying he's right?" Tony's question hung in the air, heavy and loaded.

"Maybe he is," she retorted, her voice steady. Her eyes met his, a silent challenge in them. "I've been on my own for years. I work alone. I'm no savior. A lot of my missions were against you and the government. I do what suits me best. I don't bring people to justice. I'm judge, jury, and executioner. And I know that's really not your style."

For you, I'll risk it allजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें