"That looks terrible. I'm not eating that," Iris commented, grimacing at the burnt dish. "Oh, come on, it's just slightly overcooked," Steve retorted, grabbing a fork and digging into what was supposed to be lasagna but looked more like a failed attempt at incineration. "Maybe we should order something else. How about Chinese?" Steve suggested. "Yes, please," she responded, reaching for her phone. They both burst out laughing.

Two weeks had flown by, and no one questioned Iris's extended stay. She was grateful, as she didn't quite know how to explain her situation. After her first night with Steve, the days blurred together. The Avengers had split up, some leaving for personal matters while others stayed at the compound. Natasha and Wanda had gone on a girls' trip to the mountains and were due to return that day. Sam had visited his sister, accompanied by Bucky. Bruce and Tony were the only ones, besides Iris and Steve, who stayed at the compound.

"Did someone just mention Chinese food?" Nat and Wanda entered the room, setting their bags on the ground. Their arrival causing a ripple of excitement in Iris' eyes.

"Welcome back!" she greeted them warmly, her smile evident "I'm about to order food. Chinese okay?"

"Sounds perfect," Nat chimed as Wanda nodded in agreement.

"Alright, I'll order for four then," her attention reverting back to her phone to finalize the order.

"Make it six," a deep, familiar male voice interjected. Iris stilled, a shiver running down her spine as Bucky's voice filled the room.

"You're back," Steve's warm voice broke the brief silence that had fallen over the room. He walked over to greet Bucky and Sam with a solid, brotherly hug. Iris's gaze remained glued to her phone screen, her fingers rapidly tapping to adjust the order. Steve, moments later, came to stand beside her, his hand casually resting on her shoulder.

"It'll be here in twenty," she finally announced, looking up from her phone to meet the eyes of everyone in the room.

"Perfect," Steve responded, as he leaned in, planting a gentle kiss on her lips. A silence fell over the room as everyone looked on, their expressions ranging from surprise to amusement.

"Sooo keeping yourself busy Cap" Sam's voice broke the silence in a playful undertone as he made his way towards Steve and Iris, a knowing-all smile playing on his lips.

He patted Steve on the back, "Two weeks at the compound without saving the world." He chuckled, "I don't know how you put up with him, Iris." His gaze shifted between the two of them, an eyebrow raised sarcastically.

"I bet it's been a real hardship," she giggled "I think his ego went down a bit"

Sam's laughter filled the room, a few laughs from the others as well. Expect for one. Iris

blushed slightly, her gaze dropping to her phone, while Steve simply rolled his eyes, a soft smile tugging at his lips. Regardless of the teasing, it was evident that their time alone together had indeed led to something.

Dinner was pleasant. Tony and Bruce joined them after dinner when they all gathered in the living room. Nat and Wanda were sitting with their legs crossed on the carpet, while Tony and Bruce occupied the three-space sofa. Iris took a seat on the other sofa, shortly followed by Steve. Bucky didn't hesitate to distance himself from her, sitting on the opposite sofa, which left Sam sitting next to Iris. Everyone was chatting, and she felt Steve laughing beside her, his hand still on her leg. Wanda was also laughing, probably at something Tony was saying. Meanwhile, Nat was sitting on the armrest near Bruce, and they were shyly giggling, as if the rest of the room didn't exist. Everything felt calm, and she dared to say that everyone was happy. The room felt like what a home is supposed to be. She knew they had all had their fights with each other over the years, almost killing each other more than once, but here they were, gossiping and laughing at each other as if they weren't the ones the world relied on for saving.