Chapter 23

"And I'll Play the Piano Alone."

~~~~~~

"Brooke, stop it!" Alessia's giggles were music to my sad ears.

"No, come on! Keep going!" I was laughing too. She had been singing to one of my songs while cooking us dinner. "It was beautiful, Russel."

"No, it wasn't." She kept laughing. I put the phone down, resting it against the wall. I went up behind her and wrapped my arms around her waist. "I'm not singing for you again."

"I know." I kissed her cheek. "Be careful with that knife. I don't want to take you to the hospital."

"I'm way more careful than you are."

I could hear myself chuckle at that. "Probably. I love you, Alessia."

"I love you too."

The video of us stopped there. I didn't want to delete it. If I did, the breakup would be real. It already was though. It had been for two months. I was never going to get her back. At least not until I somehow proved I didn't kiss that woman.

I scrolled through my social media until a post caught my eye. It was about me and a part of an Times article.

Brooklyn Morgan is Off the Grid!

The singer-sensation Brooklyn Morgan has been off the grid for almost three months now. Her management team made an official announcement saying:
     "It's in Brooklyn's best interest that she has decided to take a break from all forms of touring until further notice. She asks that you respect her privacy as she takes this needed break, and thanks all the fans for the love and support you bring."
     Since that post on all social media, the singer-songwriter hasn't been active or even seen in the public eye. A reporter was able to meet with Alessia Russo pitch-side to ask her some questions.
     Russo's only comment was, "We're no longer together, but I wish her all the best in life."
     We haven't received any more comments regarding Morgan's whereabouts, but there's one thing we do know for sure; We'll miss seeing the power couple together.

Brooklyn Morgan Cheats on Manchester United Star!

Just last week, an article was published that showed singer-songwriter sensation, Brooklyn Morgan, kissing a woman that wasn't her fiancée. While this woman remains unidentified, we can assume that Alessia Russo hasn't taken the news of her lover's affair lightly.
     Alessia Russo is a forward for Manchester United WFC and for the England Lionesses. She's made a name for herself as a footballer during the Women's EUROS where she scored a stunner of a backheel against Sweden. But before the EUROS, the pair was caught leaving Morgan's private afterparty together and both spoke out about it.
     Brooklyn Morgan apologized publicly to her ex, Rachel Mounts, and the two split. Morgan and Russo dated for over a year and were engaged for a short period before there was another article published, showing her kissing another woman at an afterparty.
     With this power couple now split, Alessia's only comment was, "We're no longer together, but I wish her all the best in life. And I have my eyes set on winning the Australia/New Zealand World Cup with England." We've attempted to reach Brooklyn but haven't received any response.
     Her management put on social media, "It's in Brooklyn's best interest that she has decided to take a break from all forms of touring until further notice. She asks that you respect her privacy as she takes this needed break, and thanks all the fans for the love and support you bring."
     With Russo prepping for the World Cup and Morgan off-grid, we wish them both the best.

     I sighed and put my phone down. I looked at the glass of whiskey in my other hand and brought it to my lips and downed the rest of it.

My phone began to ring. It was probably Mark. He was the only 'friend' I really had now and honestly, I felt pathetic knowing that. But it wasn't.

Ella Toone.

Decline.

Then I looked up at the grand piano in the main room. I got up and went to it. I sat on the bench and ran my fingers over the keys until I grabbed my phone and hit the red button to record it.

Sometimes, the best songs come from feeling dead on the inside.

Eventually, I began playing and words fell from my lips.

"When I walk in the kitchen
My heart hits the floor
Cause' it's you that I'm missing
I still see a vision of us cooking dinner
And you holding me from behind (from behind)
And you say, "Please be careful
The knife is so big
And we can't have another ER trip
We're too young, too dumb, too in love to afford it (to afford it)

Now it's just me
And a hundred square feet of bittersweet memories

Deleted the playlist
But I still hear all your favorite melodies
Strangers, to lovers, to enemies
So I'll dance with your ghost in the living room
And I'll play the piano alone
But I'm too scared to delete all our videos
'Cause it's real once everyone knows
Could've at least shown me some decency
Done me a favor and packed up your clothes
Falling in love, no, it ain't for the weak
So don't try this at home

The couch that we sat on back in New York
Has made its way three thousand miles to L.A
These pillows been talking
Asking me where the hell you've been (where the hell you've been)

Told me you loved me two weeks in

And I knew I would fall for you over and over
But who would've known that the falling would come to an end (come to an end)

But now it's just me
And a hundred square feet of bittersweet memories
Deleted the playlist
But I still hear all your favorite melodies
Strangers, to lovers, to enemies

So I'll dance with your ghost in the living room
And I'll play the piano alone
But I'm too scared to delete all our videos
'Cause it's real once everyone knows
You could've at least shown me some decency
Done me a favor and packed up your clothes
Falling in love, no, it ain't for the weak
So don't try this at home

(Ooh, ooh, ooh)

Ain't it funny how time shows you
You know nothing
'Cause I used to love you
But now you're dead to me
Strangers, to lovers, to enemies"

I played out a few more cords before stopping. I felt tears form in my eyes before I completely broke down. Every single emotion left my body in that moment. Even anger when I took my empty glass and threw it to the wall and watched it shatter into a million pieces.

I missed her so much. 

~~~~~~
AN:
 I've officially updated both books now. Yay 🥳

I have the rest of this book planned out (mostly) and I'm estimating a total of 20(ish) more chapters! I hope you're enjoying it!

Also song: "In the Kitchen" - Reneé Rapp
Edit: I replaced the video from the "official music video" to the acoustic version because this is more of what I envisioned when Brooke "wrote" the song.

Weird/fun fact: There's such thing as pickle flavored jelly beans

As always, vote ⭐️

🫶🏼