Chapter 2

"Now I'm here on the other side."

~~

"I'm not going."

"What! Why? You listen to her music." Ella tried.

"Look, I would love to but...I'm not feeling so great."

"Bullshit. You played against Liverpool four hours ago and scored. You can't lie to me. Lessi, talk to me. You love these types of things!"

"I really don't want to go."

"Fine. I got Leah and Mary to go anyway. I just thought you'd have fun."

Okay, now I felt guilty.

"I'll go." I sighed. "Tonight, right?"

"Yep. I'm glad you're going. You'll have fun. I know you will. It even gets your introverted-self out. Maybe you'll meet someone."

"Haha, funny. You're very funny, El." I got up. "I'm going to go find something to wear. I'm sure I'll have fun, I just wasn't planning on going to this thing at Wembley."

"You'll have fun."

As I got up and went to my room, I looked back at the good days I had at UNC. Brooke was one of my favorite memories. I remembered the conversation we had the day I left for Manchester. When she handed me the envelope and stopped me from opening it. "Don't! Not yet." She said. "On the plane you can."

"Why?" I questioned her. "Afraid I'd change my mind?"

"Honestly," her shoulders dropped "yes."

"Say don't go."

"You need to. I know you won't change your mind. Soccer—football is your life. It should be. And who knows," she sighed, "we may see each other again one day."

"You'll be on a stage though."

And she was on stage now. She had millions of records sold. She was somebody in when she wanted to be nobody. She was so different now.

It all reminded me how we're worlds apart.

"I can't believe you drove four hours for this." I said.

"Four hours isn't that bad. Besides, Brooklyn Morgan tickets are totally worth it." Leah responded. "What's up with you? You're usually...happier."

The two of us fell a few feet behind Mary and Ella. I didn't even think they realized we fell behind by the laughter between them.

"Can I tell you something?"

"Of course."

"No, I mean, can I tell you something that stays between us?"

"Yeah—"

"Are you two coming?" Mary looked back.

"You two go ahead, we'll catch up." Leah smiled towards them. "Go ahead, Less."

"I went to school with this singer. We were friends and we hung out a lot. She came to my games and I went to the pubs where she sang."

"Close then?"