Chapter 34

To say that Emberlee's engagement and wedding to Crown Prince Damien was unusually historic would be greatly downplaying the intensity of those short months; multiple assassination attempts, colonizing foreigners, alluring allies, a disloyal Hound, and a slain Empress, all since her birthday. She'd also had quite a series of experiences while in Adaba, but that remained a separate ordeal; external to her current plight.

Prince Damien had already broken tradition when he came to check on her after Clara's attack, and they further discarded historical customs as he stayed by her side for all the days after until their actual wedding date. Emberlee was all but bed-bound, the pain in her abdomen far worse on the two days after the attack than it had been to receive it. The muscles and skin that had been stitched back together by the Physician felt tender and itchy all at the same time, but the multiple cleanings confirmed no trace of infection. Despite her enforced recumbence, Damien stayed in her room and continued preparations there. She witnessed his final suit fittings and eavesdropped on the plans he'd put in place for their honeymoon to her home in Ortega, removing all of the mystique around their wedding and yet that only amplified the intensity of Emberlee's internal countdown.

All of the maids and servants that had once served Queen Oriel were on hand to assist Emberlee now, the fate of Clara's imported Stussican servants unmentioned but none that had served the late Empress were allowed to tend to Emberlee now.

That careful adjustment didn't mean Emberlee was spared all foreigners or guests. Stussica IX's representative, Imperial Princess Leia, was brought to the room accompanied by his Imperial Majesty so they could officially address the political ramifications of what had occurred. After two days of intense investigations, Emberlee knew she'd been found unanimously innocent when the Stussican Imperial Princess was brought to her; until she was wed to Damien she remained a Marchioness and the Imperial Princess socially outranked her.

"Marchioness Ortega," the Imperial Princess curtsied to her, not looking at all grief-stricken at her sister's demise, "I'm sorry for the injury you ordered at Clara's rash actions. I have repeatedly assured Emperor Andrion that Stussica had no part in the plotting or execution of her attack, and I begged his Imperial Majesty for the chance to express to you in person that we denounce the late Empress' unprovoked attack. I was able to confirm that the little Stussican spoken at your table was all polite."

Emberlee was tired, despite the compelled bed rest, and although things had ultimately gone in her favour it hadn't been without cost. Clara's death should have been the end of her trials for a long while, but Emberlee had learned to listen to the words chosen, those left unsaid, and the layers of silent politicking in between. "Stussica had no part in planning it, but will they seek retribution for the death of the former Imperial Princess?" she was expected to play coy; Leia had referenced hearing the Stussican as a warning to Emberlee that everything had been overheard, but Emberlee had expected no less. She wasn't the Imperial Crown Princess of Xutia yet, Leia had already been generous in coming to her room instead of having the lesser-ranked Marchioness come to her suite for this discussion. Emperor Andrion had likely facilitated it using his presence as a way to balance the social etiquette scales. His presence also guaranteed that Emberlee would be put in a more vulnerable position, as it was his wife and Empress that had died, and Emberlee had blatantly referenced Clara's affair with Ludwig in Stussican. Emberlee should have tried to engage her in the expected verbal waltz, the Stussican Imperial Princess no doubt wanted to gain some advantage from all of this.

"I have no wish for retribution, Marchioness," Leia's tone remained polite, she took the direct approach in stride.

"Will your Emperor, or any of your Empire?" she didn't relent, and she didn't expect an honest answer either. That's why she was picking up Titania during her honeymoon. But since Leia had brought Emperor Andrion with her, any answer she gave now would be official.