Chapter 21

Prince Damien had kissed her, Méabh had set her up to bring a political plus one to Adaba, and her birthday was finally arriving. Jimena's guilty judgement had passed without incident, the funerals held for Ainsley and Deirdre without Emberlee attending, and there was still no word from her Father on the frontlines. She'd been excluded from the planning of her debut as the Emperor and Imperial Princess organized it concurrently; Emberlee was left with no proper distraction from thinking about Prince Damien and the unexpected kiss.

It hadn't been like these in the novels they'd mocked the previous day; a simple dry press of lips instead of anything involving battling tongues, but it was been nice in its own way. As far as a first kiss went, it was pleasant and respectful; but she surprised herself by kissing him back, uncertain if she was doing so correctly. It was different than reading or even seeing others kiss; she hadn't been prepared for it and so didn't know what to do other than push her lips back against his; it didn't even occur to her to close her eyes.

"I was almost expecting you to pull your sword on me," he confessed as he stepped back.

"If you had gotten inappropriate, I would have," she confirmed, hiding that he had surprised the daylights out of her with that. "So you talked Oberon into taking us both," she phrased it deliberately, earning a laugh.

"From the formal invitation it seems all I succeeded in doing was convincing Méabh you should be allowed to bring a date with you," he corrected.

She ignored him, "Clara will try to convince the Emperor, or the Noble's Council, to send a noble of her choice with me. I wouldn't put it past her to try and declare the person and expect me to obediently accept it. Even after the Emperor made it obvious that I'm discussing the matter with you."

It wasn't hard to understand why the Emperor had pre-emptively implied that Emberlee was going to take the Imperial Prince as her allotted guest; mentioning it in front of Oberon rendered it impossible for the Empress to try and claim she was speaking on the Emperor's behalf. And if she were thinking like an Emperor, Emberlee could also see the benefit of sending the engaged couple to Adaba together; forced proximity could breed intimacy. And supply the first of the next generation if she were permissible.

"Are you prepared for your debut?" He changed topics unexpectedly; he had something to say on the matter.

"As prepared as I can be given that I wasn't permitted to plan it myself," she managed not to indicate all the effort already spent in the Ortega March as she'd been preparing to host it herself there.

He smiled lightly, "I'll present you your gift on the day if that's alright with you," it implied that his gift was meant to draw a reaction from the attending Nobles, so it was either something manipulative, or audacious.

"It'll have to be impressive, Oberon has already gifted me a custom gown in Adaban fabrics and jewels for the day," she didn't mention how uncomfortable she'd been having the Royal tailor prioritizing her gown.

"I suspect you'll like mine better," he promised, piquing her curiosity.

"I'll be sure to let you know," it was easy enough to promise at the time.

But the day of Emberlee's debut dawned and she felt nervous. She'd refused to attend Jimena's trial or the twins' funeral, so this was the first public appearance she was making since Princess Vivian's debut. Even though she had conducted business while staying at the Imperial castle, High Society was behaving as if she'd been locked in a Tower herself.

And then presents started to be delivered.

Vivian had gifted her Stussican pearls, a strand holding every colour of the sunrise, and not a single one of them replicated in Ortega pearls. It was beautiful and reminded Emberlee of Vivian's colouration. Uncle Albert had sent a literal crate of his favourite brandy for her to enjoy. Unexpectedly, the Vassals near Ortega had worked together with her Grandfather; they all sent letters of congratulations listing their presents to her. Grandfather had gifted a residence in the Capital to live in while her Capital Manor could be rebuilt; a permanent suite at the Goldstone Hotel. Her Vassals had all collectively determined to cover the cost of rebuilding the Capitol House, and her neighbour, Count Poinsette, pre-emptively paid to refurbish it. And her reputation for being a shrewd Marchioness had gotten out amongst all the gossip because a collection of her gifts came in the form of resources sent to Ortega.