Season 2: Chapter 11

It had taken Countess Jimena Piiklani-Mihal almost a month of constant carriage travel to cross from their former county in Stussica to arrive at Ortega Manor. As expected, her carriage train had several drivers and a brace of fine horseflesh that was acting in lieu of a marriage dowry. Emperor Andrion had indicated that there would only be six servants attending to the three new family members, and a small guard to be absorbed into her own Knightage. Jimena, Deirdre, and Ainsley arrived in separate carriages, each laden down with their maid, aide, and squire, and the entire train was guarded by a literal score of warriors. And also the butler. Nine people were promised, instead, sixteen arrived under the guard of twenty armed strangers.

Such a large contingent of foreigners arriving at Ortega Manor of course attracted a lot of attention, ensuring that as many of the people of Ortega were watching as they rolled into the entry lane as possible. Emberlee had spent as much time researching Stussica as she had endeavouring to understand her Fairy Magic, so she knew both cultures required the lower-ranked person to introduce themselves first, and then the higher rank can determine whether to interact with them or not. It was winter, so courtesy was to save introductions for indoors, however, that didn't deter Jimena Piiklani-Mihal from immediately demanding loudly why the child hadn't come out to greet her new mother in person like a good daughter would.

It was a show she was putting on, her accented Xutian carrying so those watching could hear and discuss. Her daughters joined her, the three of them looking like stunningly beautiful garden flowers, brightly coloured compared to the gray and white of winter Ortega. However beautiful they may look, it didn't escape Emberlee's notice that these lovely blossoms were thorned, and that Stussican robes could be a work of art but they were poor protection against the wind. They huddled, the three women, their three servants apiece, and the butler as if it were less pitiful to be acting haughty while freezing. Their guards didn't stand in an aggressive or defensive circle around them, but only because it seemed they at least had the grace to pretend humility. And while the new arrivals postured, people were watching. The servants of Ortega manner were too polite to point out their rudeness, instead, they stoically attended to the newcomers with efficient grace. Jimena started to command the Ortega servants as if they were simply an extension of her own maids and estate.

"It's a good thing you're here to keep things running smoothly Mother," one of the daughters prattled obnoxiously.

"The Manor and the child are both benefiting from our arrival. Can you imagine just how difficult it must have been to be left all but orphaned at her age and still be expected to maintain territories?" Jimena and her daughters had been sent here by two scheming Emperors and the new Xutian Empress, and it seemed that they were not planning to behave themselves.

Emberlee knew her father couldn't directly refute the Emperor's decree, he had no choice about marrying the Bride Andrion had selected. But the formerly Stussican Countess Jimena seemed to believe that not only was her presence wanted, but that it was NEEDED. As if Emberlee required an adult to guide and guard her, a chaperone while her father was still fighting the Empire's war. At sixteen, Emberlee was still technically a minor in the eyes of both courts, but only for a few more months. At seventeen she would be legally an adult, able to attend social events without a chaperone. And even if she's still a young Marchioness in the social world, it would be easier to gain standing with her rank peers once they were also considered age peers. Despite having to know all of this as a Stussican Noble, Jimena belatedly introduced herself and her daughters inside and immediately insisted that Emberlee call her Mother.

It would take an act of all the Gods, Vapours, and even Fairies to get Emberlee to call Jimena THAT. "Lady Jimena, we are pleased to bring you onto our family, but as I am my Mother's Heir please respect my choice to call you Stepmother," it was the politest way Emberlee could refuse.