⁰²⁻ 𝐁𝐨𝐝𝐲 𝐡𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠

CHAPTER TWO
"You guys do realize that this is us 'body hunting,' right?"

       The trio pull into the preserve in Stiles' teal blue Jeep, illuminating the sign warning against entry after dark with the Jeep's headlights

       The trio pull into the preserve in Stiles' teal blue Jeep, illuminating the sign warning against entry after dark with the Jeep's headlights. Stiles gets out with a flashlight in hand. Hope and Scott follows, hurrying to keep up with him as they walk in the dark woods.

"We're seriously doing this?" Scott asked his best friend.

"You're the one always bitching that nothing ever happens in this town." Stiles replied.

"You guys do realize that this is us 'body hunting,' right?" Hope asked, looking around at the dark, cloudy, and creepy environment they were in. Stiles and Scott both nodded at their friend. "Just wanted to throw that out there, in case we have some sort of second thoughts about being out here." She added, with a sarcastic smile.

"I was trying to get a good night's sleep before practice tomorrow." Scott stated.

"Right, 'cause sitting on the bench is such a grueling effort." Stiles replied, snidely. Hope shook her head and attempted not to laugh at their bickering.

"No, because I'm playing this year. In fact, I'm making first line." Scott argued. Stiles looks back at Scott in disbelief.

"Hey, that's the spirit! Everyone should have a dream, even a pathetically unrealistic one." Stiles smiled. The trio walk in silence for a beat before Scott speaks up in the same sarcastic tone Stiles used.

"Just out of curiosity, which half of the body are we looking for?" Stiles looks somewhat sheepish in response to this question.

"Huh! I didn't even think about that." Stiles replied, scratching the back of his neck.

"And, uh... what if whoever killed the body is still out here?" Hope asked, looking over at Stiles.

"Also something I didn't think about." He replied, embarrassed. Hope rolls her eyes in amusement as the three start to hike up a hill.

"It's comforting to know you've planned this out with your usual attention to detail." Scott told his best friend.

"I know." Scott's breathing suddenly start to become rapid, shallow, and wheezy as the three continue up the hill, with Scott struggling to keep up with Hope and Stiles' quick pace.

"Maybe the severe asthmatic should be the one holding the flashlight, huh?" Scott suggested, gasping. Scott leans his back against a nearby tree as he catches his inhaler out of his pocket. However, when Hope and Stiles keep pushing on, Scott continues to make his way up the hill after them. When they see a handful of people ahead of them waving flashlights around as part of the search, Hope, Stiles and Scott dive behind a large fallen tree branch as they plan their next move, turning off the flashlight so they don't attract attention. Unfortunately for the three of them, Stiles' impatience eventually wins out, and he whispers back to Hope and Scott as he jumps up and runs toward the action.

"Wait!" Both McCall's called out to their best friend.

"Come on!" Stiles called out back to them. Scott, still wheezing, tries to stop Stiles with his sister, to no avail.

"Stiles! Wait up!" Scott quickly takes a hit from his inhaler before scrambling to catch up with him and his sister who was also trying to catch up with Stiles. Both McCall's try their best to call after their best friend without also alerting anyone else that are there.

"Stiles! Stiles!" Stiles finally hears the last attempt to call his name from Hope, but the split second of distraction caused the nearby K9 officer to start barking at him, scaring him so much he falls backwards onto the ground. The deputy with the search dog immediately points his flashlight at Stiles as he tries to recover from the shock.

"Hold it right there!" Stiles puts his hands up while Hope and Scott, several meters behind him, hides behind a nearby tree. Pressing their backs to it and closing their eyes as though it will keep them from being seen. Just then, another male voice is heard- it is Noah Stilinski, Stiles' father and the Sheriff of Beacon County.

"Hang on, hang on..." Stiles stands to his feet, shielding his eyes from the bright flashlight held toward him by the deputy.

"This little delinquent belongs to me." Noah told the deputy with a sigh. Stiles, trying to play it cool, greets his old dad warmly.

"Dad, how are you doing?" Noah looks at Stiles with a mix of frustration, exasperation, and exhaustion.

"So, do you, uh, listen in to all of my phone calls?" Noah asked his son. Stiles laughs sheepishly.

"No. Heh..." Noah gives Stiles a look, and Stiles finishes his sentence. "...Not the boring ones." Noah just sighs and nods as though he's accepted this truth about his son before looking around the surrounding area.

"Now, where's your usual partner in crime and your girlfriend?" Stiles immediately tries to play dumb as it starts to rain.

"Who, Scott and Hope? Scott's home. He said he wanted to get a good night's sleep for first day back to school tomorrow. And uhm, Hope? Well- She is also home. And she's... picking out her outfit for tomorrow. Even though she would look good in anything and looks good in everything. She makes her outfits a very big deal, if you did not know that, now you do. You're welcome, dad." Noah looks at Stiles in disbelief as he continues to lie.

"It's just me... In the woods... Alone..." It is obvious that Noah doesn't buy what Stiles is saying, and he lifts his flashlight and tries to get a look around to find Hope and Scott, who are both still hiding behind a tree.

"Hope, Scott, you out there? Hope! Scott!" After a moment, when Scott doesn't materialize in front of him, Noah reluctantly determines that Hope and Scott aren't with Stiles after all. He then sighs before grabbing Stiles roughly by the back of the neck and steering him toward the entrance to the preserve.

"Well, young man, I'm gonna walk you back to your car... And then you and I are gonna have a conversation about something called 'invasion of privacy.'"