NSIV pro - part 8

"You all are right in your place to get angry at Arnavji. But there is one more truth that I need to confess, and you all need to know." Khushi said with determination.

Everyone looked at her in confusion while Arnav too held his breath in anticipation. What truth was she talking about? Was she going to tell everyone she intended to return to her parents' house after their contract marriage ends? He will not be able to live without her. His life would be too barren to go on if she wasn't around. So, it was decided then. If she declared she would leave, he would beg-

His thoughts were cut short as she spoke next,

"That night, I did expect a proposal from arnavji." She said in a calm voice and Arnav turned his head sharply to look at her. This was so unexpected. In a good way.

She sighed audibly and continued, "Before jiji and aakash jijaji's marriage, arnavji and I- we- "she hesitated a bit but continued to talk nevertheless, "We had come closer. Or at least I thought so." She gave an accusatory glance at arnav and told everyone how arnav was giving her mixed signals all through mehndi, sangeet and other rituals of payal Akash's wedding.

Arnav's heart did a somersault in pain and relief here and he tried to intervene to say she hadn't getting mixed signals from him, but he was truly trying to convey his love to her then. So, he got up to speak.

But she stopped his attempt to speak, showing him a palm, "Let me complete Arnavji."

Closing his eyes in helplessness, arnav sat down.

"So, as I was saying, all things led me to think Arnavji feels something for me like I did for him, and he wants a future with me. And thus, on jiji's wedding night, I saw a message on my room's mirror 'come to meet me on the terrace.' I assumed it was from arnavji as no one else would say that. But that was my mistake! Because that message was from Shyam!"

Everyone gasped hearing that and arnav fisted his hands in anger. How the f he messed up so bad? Of course, now he knew the truth that he misunderstood the scene on the terrace, but he didn't know the entire background leading up to it. Now he knew...

"When I reached the terrace, it was too late for me to leave. I tried to confront shyam my best and asked him to leave di as I knew he was playing with Di's life too. And somehow, I managed to free myself. I was looking for anravji for some support and to my shock, he found me, but his eyes then only showed anger for me replacing his earlier softness in them...I was confused but I did follow him as he dragged me with him. He then proposed the marriage, making me jump in joy at first but his next sentence laced with hatred for me, stating that it would be a contract wedding for six months and it had to be done on the same night made my heart sink in sorrow! However, I still said yes, and saving jiji's marriage was not the only reason but perhaps my heart wanted to get that chance to be his wife even for a short time than to face shyam's continuous harassment!"

Everyone's eyes were shedding tears by now while arnav's heart was twisting in agony. How his one big misunderstanding had messed things between him and Khushi. But now it was his chance to speak his side of the truth too, and he would.

"Khushi told you her truth, but there is one more truth for me to confess too."

No one said anything but arnav didn't wait for anyone to object either. Wiping his cheeks off the tear strains, he said, "That night, I'd have proposed Khushi anyhow. Not for marriage maybe, but I was going to tell her I was in love with her, and I was ready to take a leap of faith with her. For her."

Khushi looked at him in disbelief and so did everyone else. He nodded.

"It's true. You were not getting any mixed signals, Khushi. I was also feeling the same for you, as you did for me. But unfortunately, before I could confess it to you, I messed up everything."