Chapter 17: A Kindling of Kindness

Felicity's fingers drum against the round table as she watches me approach. Her bracelets jingle in a familiar rhythm, like trinkets sold at one of those tourist trap carts in Central Park. I slide into the seat across from her, shrugging off my wet coat.

The day is dark and rainy, and the coffee shop she picked provides a warmth and comfort I don't feel I deserve. At least it's not Starkey's.

"Greetings, friend," she says, eyeing me over the rim of her coffee mug.

I let out a long sigh, running a hand through my disheveled hair. "How much trouble am I in?"

"I just wanted to chat," she says, tapping the seat next to her. Felicity sets down her mug with a decisive clink. "A lot has happened lately, hasn't it? You've had some wins but also pissed some people off. Repeatedly." Her tone is gentle, but her words bite.

I wince, memories replaying in my mind. Melanie clearly upset at the benefit breakfast. Sydney's unshed tears as she ran out of my building. Olivia and all her threats, hurting underneath them. I look out the window at the sidewalk. "It's been kind of a shitshow, hasn't it?"

"Big time," she agrees, leaning back in her chair. "And that's why I wanted to talk to you before I go back to Ithaca tonight." She reaches across the table and squeezes my hand. "What is going on with you? I know there's no way the fame got into your head with all that DJ Blaze business. You messed up with Sydney big time, and then there's Melanie, and I've been hearing stuff about you and Olivia—"

"Nothing's going on between me and Olivia," I say sharply. "And I feel like I keep trying to do the right thing by everyone, but everyone's always mad at me."

Felicity tuts disapprovingly. "Don't do that."

"Do what?"

"Try to make your behavior other people's responsibility. You," she points at my chest, "have been acting like a fuckboy."

Her words strike a chord and I avert my gaze, shame burning in my chest. "I know. Believe me, I know." I swallow hard, my throat constricting with emotions I've tried so hard to bury. "It's just... seeing her again, after all this time... it brought up a lot of feelings I thought I'd dealt with."

Felicity's expression softens, and she reaches across the table to give my hand a gentle squeeze. "Oh, honey. I get it, I do. But you can't keep living in the past like this. Melanie's clearly moved on, and you need to as well."

I nod slowly, her words sinking in. As much as it pains me, I know she's right.

"And as for Sydney..." Felicity purses her lips, considering her words carefully. "That poor girl really liked you, Rhys."

"Not anymore, she doesn't," I sigh. "I messed it all up."

Felicity wiggles her mouth. "It's not over until it's over. I think you owe her a sincere apology and a chance to get to know the real you – the sweet, caring guy I know you to be."

I scoff. "That ship sailed, and then I sank it."

Felicity offers a sly smile. "Well, a little birdy told me she volunteers at the food bank every Thanksgiving. Maybe you could join her, show her you're not such a disaster after all. But don't push it. Let her come to you."

I manage a small chuckle, feeling a weight lift from my shoulders. "Thanks, Fee. You always know just what to say."

As I pull her in for a hug, she whispers in my ear, "Just promise me you'll stop being such an idiot, okay?"

I squeeze her tighter, a silent vow to do better. "If Preston ever fucks up with you, I will murder him myself."

"I love you, too," she smiles. "Oh! And there's one more thing I would suggest you do."