Not now.

Not ever.

"Never." Hikaru moved, feet flying across the wood and then his hands were on hers. He felt for the first time in a long while, the spark of warmth. The flutter of something more and that made his own eyes burn as the dance of gold flickered between their fingertips. "I never lie."

"D-don't say what you can't promise," she choked out, breath catching in her throat, cracking. "Don't tell me words you don't really mean." The last bit whistled free from her lips, harsh and accusatory. They were angry and the words stung but he could practically feel the flinches and winces from the rest of the group.

And God he was smug, his heart ballooning from the tremble in her voice, from the feelings that poured out, the desperation that proved that this was the best decision he had ever made. That this was exactly what she needed and what he should have done a long time ago. That this was right, and he was doing so good.

This might not be what he wanted, but this was what she needed.

"I'll take care of her with you," he promised, smile spreading wider, "we'll be a team." His voice smoothed into cool Japanese, gentle as he murmured the promise of a lifetime. "We'll visit the doctor together and go to the park. We can share the workload, and you'll get time off for movies, reading, art...Anything you like."

"S-sleep?" she whispered, "my own time to eat?"

And he felt only pain at her request—not hobbies but basic needs. The tug of her fingers on his shirt as he pulled her close. The allure of her eyes so large and heavy with exhaustion despite her holiday that it boiled in his chest.

In his ocean, he had her in his arms.

"Of course, plenty of good long naps, noise cancellation earphones, and no baby to wake you."

She almost whimpered at his words, bottom lip quivering, the exhale that released from her throat was almost a moan.

"I'll make all your meals the way you like them. My creste di gallowith tomatoes and basil."

He felt her then, hands against the thin curve of her waist and the bones that should never be felt. But he kept that smile firm and sweet on his face. He would make her healthy, and he knew that he could do it with gentle coaxing and plenty of support. He would give her back everything that she'd lost for them.

Hikaru licked his lips, nervous as he began to plan meals in his head. Meals that would heal her, meals that could feed. Amber seemed so small in clothes that once used to curl snug against her body. But the hoodie engulfed her now, enormous for her frame. And her skinny jeans, once skin-tight and beautiful on her ass, rolled pass her ankles and sagged at her waist.

She shifted on her feet. "The fancy pasta you only make when we have guests."

He chuckled, hands cradling her face, thumb rubbing the edge of her jaw. "I'll grate parmesan and crumble gouda cheese. And give you as many sous vide eggs as you want." Her smile grew. "There'll be days for Italian, Japanese, Korean and Chinese. But when it's night-time and the nanny is here, I can take you out we'll go for supper," his voice fell into a slow drawl, "just you and me at our favourite place with the really good tteokbokki. Our place. Yeah?"

"Y-yeah."

There were stars in her eyes—millions of them. And he grew lost in their sparkle which could have been endless if not for the firm grasp on his shoulder and the pinched tone that followed, drifting from the long-ignored occupants of the room.