Chapter Twenty - Two

'I just finished packing, Love,' 

I read from Karina's message. As soon as we arrived from Coron, she went straight to the condo to prepare the things she'll be bringing to Bukidnon.

'I'll be there in an hour, Love,' I replied.

"Dad! Can I talk to you for a minute?" I intercepted my dad before he entered the house. I was in the garden, waiting for him, as he had gone to the office earlier.

"Yes, son?" he asked as he approached me, sitting across from me.

"Can I spend Christmas in Bukidnon with K's family?" I asked him directly. I was nervous, but I knew my dad was open-minded, unlike some parents who might scold you for saying something like this. If he agreed, it would be the first time I wouldn't be spending Christmas with the entire family.

"Hmm... Will you be spending New Year with us?" he inquired.

"Yes, I'll be back before my birthday," I assured him.

"Okay, but you need to ask permission from your mom and grandparents," he said, giving my shoulder a pat.

"Thanks, Dad."

"No problem, son. Use your card. Don't go there empty-handed," he advised before heading inside the house. I agreed with what he said.

I smiled widely, excitedly boarding the golf cart to head to the main residence.

"Pasabay?"

Napaligon ako ng may tumawag, it was Hiro.

"Oh, saan ka pupunta?" I asked. Umupo ito sa tabi ko.

"To lolo and lola, ikaw?" 

"same din. Ano naman sadya mo?" I asked again while driving the cart.

"I'll ask for permission that I won't be spending New Year here; I'll accompany Nat to Australia," he said.

"Will she be spending it with her biological family?" I inquired.

"Yeah, the nerve of those people!"

"Let it be. As long as Nat's happy, we should support her."

"Enough about me, what about you? Why are you going to your grandfather's place?" he asked.

"I'll ask for permission not to celebrate Christmas here; I'll go to Bukidnon with K."

"Does she know?"

"Nope, it's a surprise."

"Good luck to us then" he said, tumango nalang din ako sa sinabi nito

We really need luck. My grandparents are very traditional when it comes to Christmas and New Year, but maybe they've changed now. It's a new generation.

We both arrived at the grand residence and went inside. Grandpa and Grandma were in the garden, Grandma was crocheting while Grandpa was reading a book.

"Hi, grans," Hiro said as we approached them. I followed suit, kissing Grandma's cheek and giving Grandpa a respectful gesture.

"What brings you here, boys?" Grandpa asked, setting his book aside.

"I'll go first... Um... Lo and La, may I ask for your permission po not to spend New Year here?" Hiro said. Grandma stopped what she was doing and gave him a fierce look.

Hiro and I exchanged nervous glances. Our Grandma was intimidating, the fiercest member of the entire Villanueva clan.

"Explain," Grandma demanded.

Hiro sat up straight in front of them. Ako din naman, nakakatakot si Lola kasi kung makatingin. 

"I want to go with Nat to Australia just for New Year. She'll be spending it with her biological family, and as her foster parents' eldest son, I want to pay my respects to her family. I hope you'll approve this. It's just for this New Year, wag po kayong mag alala kasi papasalubungan ko po kayo, hehe," Hiro explained at length. I frowned at his last statement, what the heck!