IX|Babysitting Bobby

Start from the beginning

  The red merman turns to Cole with a proud smirk. He whisper-yells, “That was me first time bragging about it!”

  Cole cackles, abruptly stopping upon feeling his hair getting violently yanked by another kid.

  Kai promptly laughs at him before he goes back into fiddling with the large crystal.

  “So, to shoot the breeze, right? How does this little fella work?”

  “Ye have — ow! Ye have to keep eyes on the top of it and picture whoever you so desire to shoot the breeze with.” He air quoted.

  “That simple?”

  “That simple — aGH! Hey no pulling!” The pirate glares at the mischievous snickering children running away.

  “I’m sorry, Mr. Human” said the remaining kid with grey locks trying to fix the noiret’s hair.

  Cole lazily waves a hand. “Aye, no big deal. I would’ve done the same if I saw some poor big goon with long hair anyway — you keep braiding, little one.”

  The little one brightens and does as told. “It’s almost done.”

  “Way to go.”

  “Thank you, Mr. Human.”

  Kai raises a brow. The guy must have dealt with children at some point. To be honest, Kai thinks he’s terrible with them himself, and he only has soft spots for these ones because holy shit they’re alive and younger than him.

  Cole adds, “Ye also have to keep the crystal on both of your daddles the whole time or the bond shall vanish. You’ll be pulling hairs too if that happens.”

  “How come you know this much?”

  The pirate sighs, “Me mum’s a parrot.”

  Kai nods. “Explains it.” He closes his eyes and starts thinking about the crew. “Though you’ve been in a way quiet these days.”

  Cole playfully glares at him.

  “...Am I doing it?”

  The noiret chuckles at him as he waves a hand goodbye to the leaving kid with grey locks. “Cute. The crystals require two parties to communicate. You have one. The crew doesn’t have one. But even so, ye need to think of eachother at the same time which is like a one in a million cha — ye grob faced gobshit shut up.”

  Their reflections ripple on the top of the glimmering crystal. The three of them hold their breaths, watching the gemstone continue to change with swirling colours until it eventually settles on a saturated shade of green with specks of gold.

  “This bloody crystal just swore at me, I don’t reckon I’m doing this ri — I’m doing it right. KAI!” A voice similar to their capt’n’s broke through the gemstone.

  Kai makes eye contact with Cole again, who’s completely taken aback with lips clasping shut.

  “Are you with Rocky, Kai?...Kai?...Ahoy, Mr. Kai Sir?? — Pixal, is this working?”

  “Lloyd, is that you?” The merman turns back to the crystal.

  White and two shades of blue spots merge themselves in by the sides as more voices join. One seems to be cursing under her breath. The other two are exclaiming and asking to hold the crystal themselves. Kai and Cole recognize them to be Nya, and Zane and Jay.