I |Uh-oh

music:
The Last Shanty by Tom Lewis (aye another outdated song!)

words:
Three sheets to the wind - someone who is very drunk
old salt - an experienced pirate/sailor

<>

   Brightly lit lanterns that hang on ceilings.

  Grey walls stained with berries and whatever the hell that red one is. Wanted posters lying all around. Windows shut with curtains and planks poorly nailed on them. Empty barrels. Wooden stools loitered in all areas. Tables filled with cards, blunts, and bottles. The sweet scent of caramel-like and fruity aroma of alcohol. Eyes glistening and cheeks warming. Words neither comprehensible nor making a point.

  A pluck of string.

  C chord.

  Strum…

  Thonk!

  “Ow!”

  Lloyd violently whips his head and immediately regrets it as he earns a cramp. He looks over at Jay adjusting his grip on his english guitar, and at Nya, the maiden sitting by the ginger.

  “You still recall the words?” asked Jay, followed by a small hiccup causing the noirette to snicker.

  Lloyd has no idea of what his friend meant with that — he wasn’t even listening to the conversation being held on the table in the first place — but still, tipsy as he is, sang, “Oh yes, sailor.”

  A sharp strum.

  Jay grins at Nya and adjusts his fingers on the fret, humming as he tries to recollect the chords and strumming patterns of a certain song.

  “Hold on,” he mumbled, testing out a few tunes and gently strumming the strings. “Um… aye, I got it.”

  “Got what?” Lloyd butted in.

  “The last shanty,” Nya said right before taking another swig from a whole bottle.

  “Ah, blimey..”

  Jay begins drumming on the guitar. He suddenly loudly howls, hoarding the attention of all buckos in the tavern.

  Nya and Lloyd laugh at him in amusement, and soon they both join him in the drunken call with bottles on their hands.

  The drumming continues and music ensues.

  Lloyd chokes on his breath and abruptly stops screeching. He coughs and sips from his bottle before clearing his throat. He stands up on the chair, steps a foot on the table, and so he transforms into the worst bard to ever exist in the area; with three sheets to the wind, a pirate hat barely on his head, and passion for yelling the shanty.

  “Well me father often told me when I was just a lad!

  A sailor's life is very hard! The food is always bAD!

  But now I've joined the navy, I'm aboard a man-o-war!

  And now I've found a sailor ain't a sailor any more!”

  He throws the bottle to the ground; the crowd raves.