Chapter One

Jane turned the quill in her hand repeatedly, unable to decide what to write on the parchment before her. With a frustrated groan, she abandoned the quill and rose from her writing desk. Her thoughts turned over the letter she had received from her father, a letter that was both astonishing and distressing. Her father, she thought with disdain, her biological father. The news contained within that missive had the power to upheave all that she had known in her eighteen years of life.

As she paced the confines of her bedchamber, she reflected on the letter from Lord Hadley Eckhart—her father, as it turned out. A derisive laugh escaped her lips. She had never known Lord Eckhart, having spent her entire life in a modest cottage on a farm with Mr. and Mrs. James Miller, who had been her parents, and their daughter, Emily Miller. Emily had been fortunate enough to secure a place at a renowned London boarding school.

Lord Hadley, her father? The notion seemed absurd. Perhaps the letter had been misdelivered. Perhaps the errand boy had made an error. Yet, despite her attempts to convince herself otherwise, Jane knew the letter was indeed intended for her; it bore the unmistakable seal of the Eckhart family. She took up the letter once more and read its contents:

Dear Jane Miller,

I trust this letter finds you in good health. I had initially intended to convey this news in person but opted instead to write. I am aware this revelation may be quite shocking, but it is my duty to inform you that I am your father. It is indeed a startling truth, and Mr. James Miller is aware of it.

I regret that this news comes to you in such a manner, but I wish to assure you that I shall address any distress this may cause. Furthermore, I plan to extend an invitation to your parents to discuss this matter, so that we may resolve it appropriately. I apologise for any confusion or disturbance this letter may create.

Yours faithfully,
Lord Hadley Eckhart.

With a heavy sigh, Jane dropped the letter and turned toward the window. A sudden knock at the door startled her.

“Jane?”

It was her mother’s voice.

“I’m here, Mama,” she called out.

Mrs. Beth Miller entered the room.

“I had intended to send the maid to inform you that dinner was ready, but I decided to come myself.”

Her mother’s footsteps were soft on the carpet.

“Are you well, my dear?” she enquired, noticing Jane’s distant gaze.

Jane turned abruptly. “Did you know, Mama?”

Her mother’s brow lifted in confusion. Jane’s gaze lingered on her. Beth Miller, a petite woman with chestnut-brown hair that lightened to a golden hue in the sunlight, possessed a warmth and kindness that had always been apparent. Her hazel eyes and gentle roundness had once been the hallmarks of her beauty.

Jane, however, with her blonde curls, icy blue eyes, and pale complexion, had always seemed quite different. Despite her efforts to tan while working in the garden, her skin remained fair. She shook her head in disbelief. Why had she never noticed this before?

“Are you unwell?” Her mother’s eyes filled with concern. Jane strode to her writing desk, snatching the letter and thrusting it into her mother’s hands.

“Did you know of this, Mama?” she demanded, her voice trembling. Her mother read the letter, her face reflecting shock and disbelief. As Beth looked up, Jane felt a profound realisation settle over her.

So for those you who had already started reading the book, you'd see that I've made some editing changes but it's still the same story but for the new readers, do enjoy.

Vote and comment. Love y'all 💋.