Chapter Four: Gone

"Another, please." I smashed the cup onto the ground and looked over at the maid standing by the doorway. She immediately nodded and went into the kitchen to get me another drink. I took a bite of fruit and then looked over at the empty seats next to me. My brothers were supposed to sit there, and they had been empty for quite a while. Where are you guys? I thought worriedly, You promised that you would be back by breakfast. What's taking so long?

"Astrid, darling." Mother's voice snapped me out of my worry. "Have you seen your brothers? Did they tell you they were missing breakfast?"

"Adolescents." Father scoffed, taking a sip of beer. "Always running amok without a word. No wonder I have so many gray hairs."

I suppressed the smile trying to sneak onto my face and said, "Thor informed me yesterday that he was going to make breakfast and so was Loki."

"Oh..." Mother frowned, "So where could they be?"

"I'm not sure, Mother..." I trailed off.

"I'm sure that our sons will be alright, my queen." Father put his hand over Mother's. I went back to sipping my juice, ignoring the slight buzz of romance that went in between my parents.

"I hope so." Mother squeezed Father's hand with her's.

"Get a room." I murmured into my juice as I took another sip.

Suddenly, the door burst open and a guard shouted, "Allfather!"

I promptly spewed my orange juice back into my cup out of shock and barely managed to hold in a cough as I stared at the guard.

"What is it?!" Father rose to his feet, alarm in his voice. "What happened?!"

"Your sons." The guard panted out, "T-they're in Jotunheim, being chased by the Frost Giants. Heimdall saw and told me to come and tell you."

Father's face was grim and disappointed as he turned back to Mother and I, both of us with equally worried looks on our faces. One was worried for her sons, one was worried for her brothers. Father sighed and then mounted his helmet out of nowhere onto his head. "I am sorry, Frigga and Astrid. I'm afraid you'll have to cut breakfast with me short."

"It's alright, Father. I understand." I took a step forward and then stepped back, my hands clenched around my sea blue gown. "Bring them back safely, please...?"

"Stay safe yourself, Odin." Mother whispered.

"I promise, I will return safely with Thor and Loki." Father's tone was reassuring, but his voice was grave. "Enjoy breakfast, my dears. I will come back soon."

And with that, he was gone.

"Mother...?" I whispered after a while, fidgeting with the golden pin on my shoulder from my dress.

"Yes, darling?" Mother responded.

"Do... Do you think that everything's going to be okay?" I hugged myself, "I-I don't know if everything feels right to me. I-" I dropped my gaze down to my lap, "I'm scared."

"My dear daughter." Mother came next to me and then hugged me tightly. "I know things are scary right now and I know that you are worried, but please. Don't be. Your father will handle everything. It'll be alright."

"I hope so." I hugged my mother back, "I really hope so..."

-:-:-:-:-

Ebbe, my personal maid, unbraided my hair as I sat in front of the mirror, the faint thought of my brothers in the back of my mind. I swallowed and then looked at Ebbe, "Ebbe, may I ask you something?"