Chapter Two: Haunted

People were always cruel. Sometimes they were cruel without realizing it, but cruel nonetheless. Sometimes, Father will say something about how I don't have powers during feasts, when he's blackout drunk. It stung, of course, because I was sensitive in that spot, and Father would realize it after he was sober again. He'd apologize and I'd naturally forgive him, but the wound still hurt. Sometimes, I would see Mother working at the cauldron and I wish that I could somehow summon something like that. It's not Mother's fault, just that... It hurts watching everyone be so special, and just have you... in the shadows.

Plain.

Gone.

Forgotten.

"Ass-trid." Thor nudged me with his elbow and I looked over at him, finally blinking back into reality and ignoring that insufferable nickname, "Are you feeling alright?"

I blinked slowly and then nodded even slower, "Um... yes. I feel fine."

"You looked like you were haunted by the ghosts that have fallen from Valhalla." Thor teased me, "Are you certain that you're alright, sister?"

"Are you alright?" I fired back with a smirk, "Look at you." I gestured at him. He wasn't in his usually rugged outfit and messy hairstyle. Instead, his hair was combed back into a neat ponytail with a braid decorating the side, and he was wearing white robes instead of his armor with his dusty red cape.

"What's wrong with my outfit?" Thor asked, leaning back with his hands laced behind his head. "I think I look quite nice, compared to... other looks I've had in the past."

"Exactly what I'm referring to." I giggled, "You never look this nice."

Thor pressed his palm to his chest in mock injury, "How dare you talk about me in such a manner? I am extremely offended, child sister."

I laughed, smoothing out the wrinkles in my wine red dress that matched the ruby necklace Mother had ordered me to put on and then said, "I'm sorry. Forgive me, thy highness."

"Ah, the ye old language." Thor shook his head with a deep, amused chuckle, "You sound just like our father." He took a swig of beer and then swirled the cup, noticing that it was empty. He smashed it on the ground and then shouted, "Another!"

"Should you really be drinking like that?" In a flash, Loki was next to us, sitting right beside Thor with his eyebrows furrowed together, "I don't think it's a good idea, brother. Especially since... the last fiasco we had at a banquet."

"Oh, relax, my little brother." Thor patted Loki's shoulder hard, making Loki grimace, "I've only had 10 cups. I'm only getting started with the drinking."

"Be careful, Thor." Sif was standing next to us and he laid a hand on Thor's shoulder, "We don't want you to pass out in the middle of the feast in case you need to give a speech or something." She then nodded at me, "Hello, Princess Astrid."

"Lady Sif. Hello." I dipped my head in greeting, "How was the gathering with Thor, Hogun, Volstagg, Fandral, and Balder?"

"It was well. Your brother rushed back to the palace before Volstagg could fully finish his story, however." Sif's chiseled eyebrow raised an inch as she smirked, "I hear that you have something to do with that, princess."

I flushed, "Well... It's... I..."

"Come now, Sif." Loki smirked at my expression, fixing his dark green suit, "No need to tease Astrid. I found it quite funny, actually."

"Not Volstagg." Sif snorted, "He hates being interrupted in the middle of his tall tales. When Thor flew off, he appeared... quite unhappy."

"Oh." I murmured. I didn't mean to hurt Volstagg's feelings. "Where's Volstagg? I should go and apologize to him, since I was the one that had called for Thor in the middle of one of Volstagg's stories." I got up, but Sif put her hand on my shoulder almost immediately.