Chapter 9

Douma felt his heart jump when he watches his wife walking through his garden and suddenly collapsed. Her breathing was labored and he could hear her heart rapidly pound in her chest.

She is looking up, smiling at him as he is about to reach out for her.

"Douma, I'm okay. Please, I'll just stay here for a while." Douma however stalked the porch he was stuck on. He couldn't move as the sun was fully up. He would have been reading or doing other duties that can be done inside. But Kotoha had wanted to walk in the warmth of the day.

This moment as his love took long seconds to get up when his body language showed his worried state. When she is within reach, he lets his hands burn so he can pull her in.

She would rub his hands as they heal and he hugs her close.

He couldn't be the only one to worry for her.

He couldn't trust his demon servants to be there for her. They have forgotten their humanity long ago.

His chin is on his love's shoulder as he holds her, hand on her belly as their child kicks, having awakened with the scare.

He needs to get Kotoha human companions.

When sun sets, Douma starts searching the market.

He wouldn't go back to the auction house, those humans wouldn't be what his Kotoha needs. The demon wears plain clothes and hides his kanji, changing his hair and eyes. His fangs are hidden as well.

Humans at these markets are wary when the sun is down and their demon neighbors make themselves known.

He walks the street with Kotoha at his side. His wife was adorable as she walked the stalls.

Her smile was beautiful as her eyes take in the sights, child-like joy gracing them.

"Look!" She points to one stall, tugging on Douma's arm.

The demon lets her drag him to where Takoyaki is sold. He drops some coins in the vendor's hand. Soon they are walking once more, Kotoha munching on the snack.

Douma scans the humans and demons. Luckily, most demons prefer to hunt in the dark and not in the bright lights that humans thrive in.

Most was the key word as he snaps to an alleyway entrance, his Kotoha having also seen what was going down.

A man was standing in front of a woman, most likely his wife, holding a newborn. Before them, a demon was trying to attack them. The man was frail looking as he faced the demon.

Douma looked at Kotoha, seeing her curl tighter against him. The reality sinking in and the comfy atmosphere is gone.

Rainbow eyes go blank as he studies his love before looking back at the alleyway.

Her smile was gone.

Tanjuro would blink as the demon was grabbed by the back of his neck and thrown against the wall.

Kie and he had been out late, selling their charcoal when a demon started stalking them. They call it an evening, searching for a crowded area only to be blocked by the demon.

Before him now was a man in simple clothes and dark hair with his back towards him.

"What do you want? Do you want to get killed, Punk!?" The demon lunges and the man is laughing when he grabs the demon by the throat. Holding him up even as he claws at his arm.

His arm heals.

Tanjuro backs up more, shielding Kie and his child as the confrontation goes down.

The demon gasps as the man transforms, hair becoming light, lengthening, and gaining a red spot.

"You are the kind of demons that disappoint me, at least make it quick. Like this!" The demon's head is squished and the rest of his body is frozen over. The victor drops his opponent to the ground where he shatters.

The demon looks back, eyes colorful and holding Kanji.

Tanjuro couldn't help but fall to his knees. Not being able to read the kanji but knowing only one who fits the description of the one that stands before him.

"Upper Two, thank you!" The demon throws up a smile and waves at him, gesturing for him to get up.

"Oh, there's no need for that." The demon looks at his wife and child, taking a moment to study them.

The wife gulps and shakes her head.

"Please, let us repay you somehow."

The Uppermoon looks to the entrance of the alleyway, debating for a moment before smiling at them again.

"Then you are welcome to follow me!"

Kie and Kotoha were wonderful together. Douma would watch as Kie took care of his wife, even when taking care of her own little one.

Tanjuro would start coughing a bit and Douma would send for a doctor. A scared thing but confirms that Tanjuro needed regular checkups.

Checkups and medicine would be expensive for humans but he was a Kizuki and he was wealthy in this world. So it was no problem making sure Tanjuro lived til his natural end.

But the most interesting of the newest additions to his estate was the baby.

Tanjiro was his name and he was a delightful baby.

At first, Tanjuro and Kie though grateful, were terrified when he wanted to hold the baby. They give their only child to the demon, scared of what he would do.

Only to then see him turn to Kotoha, the woman who smiles even with how close she was to the demon. Douma held up Tanjiro, who stared at them with big eyes.

"Look Kotoha-chan! Do you think ours will be as quiet?"

That's when it hit the young couple as they watch the Kizuki lord that had saved them, as they return to the estate. Tanjiro is still in his arms. They would piece together what they were seeing and couldn't believe it because it couldn't possibly be true.

It wouldn't be spoken till they had made it within the safety of the walls that Douma made full introductions.

"This is my wife, Kotoha! She's currently six months along!" Douma would look down at the gurgling Tanjiro before handing him back to his mother.

"It would be wonderful if you would stay." Douma would smile politely and would accept a refusal and simply search again for human companions.

The Kamado family must have seen the sanctuary that was his estate because they stayed. Douma setting them up in their own small house on his property. He ordered for it to be stripped and redone because this was where harem members were sent when it was that time.

But now it was being put to better use.

"Are you enjoying the Kamado family, Kotoha?" Douma would bring her to his lap cradling her stomach to lift the weight off of her.

Her smile has been constant since they arrived and he knows that this kind of socializing was needed. It was different from the few times Akaza has made his appearance with his punching bags.

"Yes. Oh, we need to get them a gift! Kie told me they are expecting another!" Douma grins at her excitement and nods.

Maybe he'll add more humans to his estate but this was a start.

For now though-

Douma purrs in his chest when Kotoha turns around, to wrap her arms around his neck.

If she wants this then he wouldn't stop her.
He falls back on their futon and enjoys their night.