Chapter 13: Duty

Amelie, Yvette and Elijah were in a hotel in Fairfax.

Yvette and Amelie were seated on the sofa and Elijah was on the chair.

Everybody had gone back to Mystic Falls and Elena and Katherine had successfully switched places, Elena promising not to say anything to the Salvatores as a thank you to Yvette for saving her.

Vanessa had also decided to spend the night in Mystic Falls.

Now, Yvette and Amelie could converse with Elijah freely.

"Why did you leave?" Amelie asked him.

Yvette was shocked by her first question. She gaped at Amelie but closed her mouth back. "Perhaps we should—"

"—No, Yvette! I want to hear his answer!" Amelie interrupted, eyes glossy. "Why did you leave me, Elijah?"

"I had a duty to my family," Elijah responded, justifying his actions.

"What happened to me?" Yvette yelled out her question. "You had a duty to me! I was your family!" She yelled, a tear falling from her right eye. "You said I was your family."

Elijah sighed. "You are—"

"—Lies! You're lying, you don't desert family, Elijah," Yvette told him.

"Amelie, he had a rea—"

"Don't defend him!" Amelie yelled to Yvette. "I wouldn't defend Ni—"

"—that is something entirely different, Millie," Yvette told her, half glaring at her sister.

"Perhaps we should all calm down?" Elijah spoke again, his voice calm and collected.

"How do you do that!" Amelie asked, voice raised. "How do you pretend everything is fine?" Her voice was lowered now.

"Amelie, calm down," Yvette told her, earning a glare from her sister.

She went to Elijah, pushing him. "Act like you feel something," her voice cracked. "You're not a fucking robot!" Another year slipped out of her left eye.

"Amelie," Elijah spoke.

"What?"

Yvette, feeling like she was imposing on a private moment left the room awkwardly.

"I apologise," he told her.

"Ah yes, break my heart into pieces and you give me an apology."

Elijah grabbed Amelie's hand with his right hand, turning her face to him with his left. "I'm sorry."

Amelie closed her eyes, letting the tears flow as she fell into Elijah's arms. Elijah closed the gap between them and wrapped his arms around her, stroking her back.

"I don't forgive you, Elijah," she told him as she sniffled.

"I expect nothing less, mon ange." He pulled away from her, wiping away her tears with his fingers. "I hope to earn your forgiveness and trust."

"Well, it will take a lot of work," Amelie told him as she sniffled.

Elijah nodded with a small smile.

"Why are you smiling? I still hate you," Amelie informed him. "Arsehole."

Elijah looked away and began to pull away, but then Amelie gave him a playful smirk. Elijah chuckled.

"I love you still, Amelie," Elijah told her. "I will never stop."

He leaned in to kiss her when Amelie put a hand on his lips. "You're not forgiven, Elijah," she told him. "I'm not yours anymore."