Father and Son

****cw: mentions of implied mental health concern, medical inaccuracies****

Joshua could not sense any longing emotion from the words that has just come out from his father's mouth, so he knows that he's just bluffing. Still, out of fear, he did not reply nor make any movements after the greeting. It seems that his feet got glued on the cold marble floor of that office.

"Let me introduce myself to you formally as your mother may have not introduced me to you nor let you see me thru photographs," his father continued.

"I am Antonio Hong, your father and owner of Hong Empire, Inc. In the time when I was starting to make a big impact for the company, I met your mother." CEO Hong as he was telling this story, stood up from his presidential chair, and slowly moved to the couch. Joshua's gaze followed his father until the latter reached the couch. And even though they are now a bit closer in distance, Joshua never followed his dad to the couch nor his father invited him to sit with him. So both he and Mr. Kim still stood at the middle of that office.

"Cutting the long story short, we both got attracted with each other, went on several dates, and got married. I thought our bond was already good and strong enough. But as I'm busy building this empire, I didn't realize I have become distant with her that I did not even know your mother was having you. As I'm building our future, I did not realized my other world was collapsing and eventually left me. And then I found her and heard about you. I asked her to come back to me with you but she strongly refused. She made ridiculous deals with me to leave her alone, even threatening to continuously hide you from me. Until I pleaded not to involve you with our personal issues as a couple. And she made this deal that she wants freedom from everything that reminds her of me, including you. So she left you to me."

"Enough of your lies," Joshua finally spoke, unable to contain the emotions that's slowly building inside of him. "That's not what I heard this morning when you talked to Mom."

"I see you're aware of the conversation that has transpired this early morning?" Asked the CEO, quite amused but not fazed. He leaned on the couch, crossed his legs, hands perfectly clasped. This was the stance of a person who's confident in winning any argument, debate, or whatever conversation he's in and this irked Joshua even more. So he reminded himself to remain calm despite the rage he feels inside so he can defend his mother from his own father.

"I heard everything. I even heard how you threatened her. You even included threatening the hotel owner had I chose to stay there..."

"I see... but have you seen your mother's face while we were talking?"

"No, but I have known mom long enough to know she was distressed with your threats."

"Joshua," his father sighed. "I guess I should tell you the entire truth, not just what you're supposed to hear to understand why I had to get you from your mother. Come, Joshua. Sit beside me."

Joshua was now confused upon mentioning something about the entire truth. What truth is he talking about? Am I going to hear more lies from this man?

He wanted to be distant with his father as possible but nevertheless he obeyed and went to sit down on the couch, still maintaining a short gap between him and the renowned CEO.

"I've forgotten to tell you that your mother was a former young actress when I met her. She was not that big yet. But she has great potential to be a big star. Unfortunately she got involved with me. Few months after choosing me over her career, she was having a change of heart telling me that she regret choosing me. Things got worse to the point she almost hurt herself. I tried to contain her as the doctors advised because she's becoming dangerous. But I lost her. She escaped. I did not know how she was able to control herself when she had you. But I'm telling you this, Joshua. She's sick and still is so she is a danger to you and everyone. She still uses her great acting skills to convince other people to take her side. The conversation we had this morning was one of her episodes and I tried to have my voice a threatening one to control her. And the warning I gave to the hotel owner, it was a mistake. I apologize for that. I just have to make sure that you come with us. This is for your own protection, son."