Memories and Promises to Keep

It was 5 minutes past 12 at noon when Joshua came to the lobby where he and Jeonghan agreed to meet for lunch. He was sitting at the couch near the reception's desk, slightly tensed and fidgety. He just came back from his room where he said he'd wash up again and change clothes cause his former clothes was basked in sweat and flour after they made a proper cake just before lunch time. He doesn't want to not look proper for his friend's mom. This gave him time to prepare himself before meeting Jeonghan's mother. He wasn't really sure what to expect but he trusts Jeonghan and his words of affirmation that he'll be okay.

He also took this opportunity to fix his stuff, take everything he needed, and packed them in his luggage, just in case his father (or maybe just his father's representative, who cares?) arrives. He hasn't forgotten that he might soon leave this place today. He hasn't forgotten that this, being with Jeonghan and his family (yes, Jeonghan said to him that he and his mom considers their staff their extended family), isn't his reality. Though he wished for a miracle to happen, still he cannot escape the fact that change will soon start to happen. So might as well get the energy or the drive to start to embrace whatever it is that he'll be facing soon.

But he doesn't want to dampen his mood already by getting these miserable thoughts linger in his head. He doesn't want Jeonghan to notice too, so he tried as much as possible to be calm about it. It's his birthday today, after all.

Just this one, please. A plea to anyone in the heavens came in his thoughts.

'Let me have this moment to keep as a memory. If I have to swallow the bitter pill that is my life after this, let me have this moment with Jeonghan as a memory to keep - a memory I can hold on to so I could keep a part of myself that I would never ever despise just in case.' Clasping his hands together, he prayed these on his thoughts as he waits for the person he is holding to for hope.

"Shua?"

He opened his eyes and turned around from the couch and there he saw him.

"Jeonghan."

His hope.

"Sorry medyo natagalan. Did you wait long?"

"No naman. I was just observing people here."

His calm.

"Ready na si mom to meet us. Let's go?"

His peace.

"Yes, tara. I can't wait to meet your mom na."

His angel.

He prayed for some kind of a miracle and if this is it, he'd gladly take it. He stood up from where he was seated and followed Jeonghan to the far end of the hotel's restaurant, where his mom's already waiting.

———

"Ikaw, Joshua?" Pagbaling na tanong ng mama ni Jeonghan kay Joshua. "Do you have plans already on what you want to pursue in the future?"

Lunch with Jeonghan and his mom has been fun so far, opposite to what Joshua was dreading. He was worried for nothing. Tita Louisa Yoon, as she introduced herself to Joshua, is a pleasant and wonderful woman. She mostly does the questioning and story-telling, mostly about food and Jeonghan's childhood. There were also moments when Jeonghan and his mom would bicker much to Joshua's delight. Now he knows where he got his playfulness, as Joshua thinks about his friend.

Not forgetting about the food, Joshua found their food so delicious that he can't help but eat a lot until he's almost stuffed. He made sure to make room for desserts, though, as agreed that the three of them will share the chocolate cake both he and Jeonghan baked. As they were talking about Mrs. Yoon's dream for his son to love baking too, she couldn't help but to ask their guest about his own dream.