Over Pancakes and Pasta

Hindi makapaniwala si Jeonghan sa nasabi ni Joshua. Tila biglang bagong ihip ng hangin ang pagbabago ng tono ng boses niya. Kung kanina ay parang isang bagyo ang kanyang pinapahiwatig, ngayon naman ay para itong banayad na hangin base sa paraan kung paano siya na makiusap sa kanya. Pero napagtanto niya rin na nalalaman na ng nakababata ang mali niya at ito marahil ang paraan ni Joshua para makipag-ayos sa kanya.

And him being taught by his parents to not to dwell too much on the hate and anger, decided to let it go and give Joshua a chance. He let out a deep sigh as he looked at the younger who was still holding his arm.

Wala rin naman siyang mapapala kung patuloy lang siyang magagalit. Kaya't malumanay na rin niyang sinagot si Joshua.

"Initin ko lang sa microwave. Mas masarap tong kainin nang mainit."

Joshua let go of Jeonghan's arm so the latter could go to the dining and kitchen to heat the food that was long forgotten because of their immaturity. He then moved to sit at the dining table and waited for Jeonghan to finish heating the pasta. While he was observing Jeonghan's movement in the mini kitchen, he didn't realize his eyes were already drawn and glued to the older boy's figure. Even at a young age, it can be seen that Jeonghan has a broad back. He must be an athlete in their school, Joshua thought. He could be a basketball player, or even a football player. Either way, Jeonghan's physique tells Joshua that the former could go and play any ball games and would definitely be good in any of them.

Meanwhile, as Joshua was seemingly in a trance as he kept staring at Jeonghan's back, the latter has already placed the spaghetti in the microwave to heat it. While waiting, he was also rearranging the layers of pancake before he could heat it up as well. Once done, he brought out the pasta to place it neatly on the dining table just next to Joshua. He wasn't aware that the younger had been looking at him since he started doing his work in the kitchen. That's just how he works - focused. Once the pancake was also heated up, he poured in the syrup a bit and left some on the dish as he doesn't know how much would Joshua want for his pancake. He set the pancake and placed it near Joshua, still not noticing how intently the latter is staring at him. He then turned back again from the dining table to get glasses of water for the both of them and to wash and clear some of the wares that he used.

"Joshua, would you like to come down at the cafe after you finish your meal?"

Jeonghan asked while he was clearing up the kitchen. When he did not hear an answer, he turned around to face Joshua and was about to repeat the question. To his surprise, he noticed Joshua has been staring at him while also seemed deep in his thoughts. He wasn't sure though how long has it been since he has been in that position.

"Joshua!" Jeonghan has made his voice a bit louder.

"Huh?" Joshua was startled. It was when he heard his name being called by the boy he was staring at made him come back from his senses. Did he noticed that I was staring at him for too long? Was I obvious? "Were you saying something?"

"Ang tanong ko, kung gusto mo bang bumaba at sumama sa'kin after mo mag-breakfast?"

"What are we going to do?"

Jeonghan sighed. He doesn't even know why he had this idea to invite Joshua to come down. Maybe in his mind, he wanted this person to at least breathe... breathe from all that has happened today. But what will they do when they go down?

"Depende sa gusto mo. Hmmm.."

Then he suddenly thought of something.

"Ah, alam ko na!"

"What?" asked a confused Joshua who has already started eating his pasta.

"Do you want, perhaps, to tour our kitchen? I could ask my mom. He allows it naman as long as we don't disturb the staff too much."

"Ooh, I know!" said Jeonghan quite excitedly as he reached Joshua's free hand. This startled the latter but pretends not to notice.

"We could also bake your proper birthday cake too..." Jeonghan paused as he realized he got too excited and was already holding Joshua's free hand. It was awkward, he knows, but at the same time, he doesn't know why he feels comfortable doing this for him.

Maybe it's his natural instinct kicking in. He was always attentive to other people's needs after doing stuff for their little hotel. He has always been attentive to his mom's needs even at a young age after his father's death. It was just his nature. His persona. But somehow, deep inside his heart, Jeonghan knows there's something about Joshua. Even though they literally just met today, he knows there's something about the boy that caring for him feels automatic. Is it the promise he made to his mother before she left? Is it because they're the same age and this is the first time to get acquainted to someone besides his classmates and friends from school? Whatever it is, he doesn't have the luxury of time to think about all of these because this maybe the only time he'll get to take care of him so he wants to make the most out of it.

"If that's what you want, anyway. I won't force you."

There was a short silence before Joshua's tiny shy voice filled the void air.

"I'd love to, Jeonghan. Let's do what you suggested. But..."

"Hmm?"

"Can we make a chocolate cake?"

"Pwede naman, but may I know why?"

"Uhm, wala lang. I heard lang from my mom before na this place has the best chocolate cake in town. And she likes chocolate cakes so..."

"Okay, we'll do that. Finish your breakfast first and we'll do what you like to do. Take this as my treat to your birthday today."

"Jeonghan..."

"Yes?"

"Thank you." Joshua's voice became tiny again as he said these two words.

"For what?"

Joshua hesitated until he finally said what he've been meaning to say as he watched Jeonghan doing things for him.

"For this, and for what we are about to do. I know you're doing this because you promised Mom. You didn't have to but you did. I don't know why you're doing it, and I don't really want to pry out of respect. But I really appreciate this. I know I've said some mean words awhile ago. I'm really sorry. I was hurt. I'm actually still hurting now, but I know I shouldn't have blamed you. I'm sorry. If it isn't too much to ask too, I would really have you as my friend right now."

Both of them are looking at each other's eyes. Jeonghan felt the younger's sincerity with his apology so who is he to decline the boy's request when all he wanted too, is to offer his friendship to him, even if he knows it might just be a short-lived one.

"I understand what you feel, Joshua. So I'm gladly accepting your apology. I'm sorry, too if my words got you hurt too. And yes, I like to be your friend too."

Upon Jeonghan's response, Joshua's eyes sparkled. It was as if the pain of being left alone has dissipated temporarily. He reached out his hand, signalling the older for a handshake.

"So, friends?"

"Friends," as he reached out Joshua's hand for a handshake. "Now, hurry finish your meal before it gets cold again."

And just like that, the awkwardness that surrounds the two of them like a big cloud has totally been dissolved. They were able to talk comfortably as Joshua eats the meal that his new friend prepared; sharing more about themselves. Catching up about each of their life as if it's the most normal thing to do for new found friends.