Chapter 5

As Arabella emerged from her bedroom, the soft glow of the chandelier cascading over her elegant gown, she felt a sense of anticipation stirring within her. Tonight was meant to be a family dinner, a rare occasion in their hectic lives, and Arabella relished the chance to spend quality time with her parents.

As she made her way down the grand staircase, the aroma of a sumptuous meal wafted through the air, enticing her senses with its scent. But as Arabella entered the dining room, her steps faltered in surprise at the sight before her.

Seated at the head of the table was her father, Edward Sinclair, engaged in animated conversation with a man Arabella didn't recognize. Intrigued, she approached the table with cautious curiosity, her eyes fixed on the stranger beside her father.

Her father glanced up as Arabella entered the room, a warm smile lighting up his features as he gestured for her to join them. "Arabella, darling, come meet Thomas Mortem," he said, his voice filled with warmth as he introduced the man beside him.

Arabella's eyes widened in surprise as she took in the stranger before her, his dark eyes meeting hers with a hint of amusement. "Nice to meet you, Arabella," Thomas greeted her, his voice smooth and confident as he extended a hand towards her.

Arabella hesitated for a moment before accepting Thomas's handshake, her mind buzzing with questions about his presence at their dinner table. But before she could voice her concerns, her father interjected with a reassuring smile.

"Thomas is an old friend of mine," Edward explained, his tone calm but firm as he met Arabella's gaze with a reassuring nod. "He's here on business, but I thought it would be nice for him to join us for dinner tonight."

Arabella nodded in understanding, though a sense of unease lingered in the pit of her stomach. As she took her seat at the table, she couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to Thomas Mortem than met the eye, and she resolved to keep a close eye on him as the evening unfolded. 

Arabella couldn't shake off the curiosity gnawing at her mind as she found herself standing in the kitchen with her mother, Maria, the clinking of cutlery and murmur of conversation from the dining room acting as a backdrop to their hushed conversation.

"Chi è lui, Mama?" (Who is he mum?) Arabella questioned, her voice tinged with urgency as she leaned in closer to her mother, her eyes searching Maria's face for any hint of an answer.

Maria's expression remained inscrutable, her dark eyes flickering with a mixture of caution and reluctance as she met Arabella's gaze. "È una vecchia conoscenza di tuo padre," (He's an old acquaintance of your fathers) she replied vaguely, her voice low and guarded as she busied herself with slicing vegetables.

Arabella's brow furrowed in frustration at her mother's evasive response, her mind buzzing with questions that begged for answers. "Ma qual è il suo legame con gli affari di padre?" (But what is his connection to father's business?) she pressed, her tone edged with determination as she sought to unravel the mystery surrounding the enigmatic man.

Maria hesitated for a moment before responding, her gaze fixed on the task at hand as she carefully avoided Arabella's probing stare. "Tuo padre si sta occupando di alcune questioni per lui," (Your father is handling some matters for him) she explained cryptically, her words laden with unspoken implications that only served to deepen Arabella's curiosity.

Sensing her mother's reluctance to divulge more information, Arabella sighed in frustration, her mind racing with unanswered questions as she struggled to piece together the puzzle of her father's connection to the mysterious man. With a resigned nod, she turned back towards the dining room, her determination to uncover the truth burning brighter than ever before.