catch-22 | 01

The only sounds that fill the studio are the rapid clicking of keyboards and mice, but that's just how it is when people aren't fooling around and actually doing work in the green room (which sadly also serves as their workspace because of the school's lack of budget to give the media club an actual studio to work in. Also because of the botched paint job from when the alumni had attempted to turn one of the walls into a makeshift green screen).

Chaerin blinks her eyes rapidly, her contacts having dried up hours ago, but she's determined not to let that break her momentum— not when she's this close to finishing her column for the week.

As it turns out, the students of business school are really passionate about whether shoestring fries or wedges should be crowned potato queen of the cafeteria.

Her typing is rudely interrupted when a paper magazine drops on her hands, the weight pressing down on the keys of her keyboard and forming an incoherent theeeeeee on her screen.

She involuntary lets out a tsk, looking up towards the culprit who leans against her table, arms folded across his chest.

"I have a proposition," Professor Seo starts, and Chaerin offers him a sweet, albeit sarcastic smile, annoyed at the sudden distraction.

"Do tell, sir."

"You've been writing the cafeteria column for what, seven months now? How would you like a change of air?"

"Suddenly? But the people love my columns!" Chaerin exclaims, her smile dropping at the sudden bomb.

Professor Seo, as though having already expected her outburst, merely rolls his eyes. "Chaerin, you're one of my most talented writers. I don't want to waste your potential away by making you write what's on the menu until you graduate. Besides, the potato competition thing you're writing ends this week. It's perfect!"

"Tournament of the Taters," Chaerin corrects, leaning into her swivel chair. "I don't know, Prof. I mean, I already planned out what I want to write for next week's issue. You approved it! Wouldn't it be too much of a rush for a sudden turnover?"

"Not when it's for what I'm about to tell you. Just hear me out." Professor Seo pushes himself off the table, bending his knees to meet Chaerin's height (it didn't work; the man is a giant). He spreads his hands, wiggling his fingers before whispering, "MVP of the Month! Eh?" He grins, proud of his idea as he returns to his full height with his hands on his hips.

Chaerin stares at him blankly, not amused one bit at the professor's dramatics. He lets out an elaborated sigh before pulling a chair to sit next to her. "Okay. What is our school most known for?"

"Drugs? We did make it on the local news that one time when a professor got arrested for dealing with coke on campus. Remember?" Someone snickers from behind. Chaerin turns around to see Jaemin, a goofy smile on her stepbrother's face as he attempts a high-five with Renjun next to him (keyword: attempts).

"Yes, I'm sure everybody remembers, but we don't talk about that," Professor Seo answers wryly before turning back to Chaerin, picking up the magazine he previously dropped on her desk. "The hockey team! Trophy after trophy, medal after medal. They're the pride of our university, and that is why you should write a column on them. No- a whole page."

"Wait, really?" At this, Chaerin straightens her posture, taking the magazine from her professor's hands as she considers his proposition. She glances at it, realising it's a sports magazine with Son Heungmin on the cover. "You're giving me the main page?"

"Well, yes, and no. I'll give you the liberty to choose your own team, though I already know who you're going to pick." Professor Seo glances at the two boys behind her. "We're already halfway through the hockey season, and it usually lasts around two months or so. Instead of doing a weekly column, I was thinking we could do a separate newsletter, an exclusive edition just for the team. How does that sound?"