lost in reality | 05

Over the next few weeks, Yuta found himself getting busier with his coaching job outside the orphanage as the competitions between school districts were coming up. Jaehyun had taken his place in fetching Rowoon and the other kids from practice and school, Yuta barely having time of his own to do so.

"Soyoung? What are you doing here?" He asked, clearly shocked to see Soyoung at the entrance of the school he worked at one day. Training had just ended, Yuta being the last one to leave the compound after his kids.

"I hope you don't mind," she replied, cheeks flushed red as though she was embarrassed. It looked as if she had just ended her shift at her other job at the art studio too— her brunette hair was tied in a lazy bun that rested at the nape of her neck, with the sight of her blue jeans dotted with dried paint that made Yuta chuckle slightly.

But even despite that, she still looked beautiful to him.

"Did you run here?" Yuta joked.

"Only the last couple metres," she huffed, a response he hadn't been expecting. "I didn't wanna miss you."

She raised a bag Yuta failed to notice she had been carrying. "You told me you've been having pains in your calves so, uh- here."

Soyoung stepped forward, urging Yuta to take the small bag, which he did. Peeking inside, he noticed it was an ointment for muscle relief and a roll of muscle tape.

"Soyoung..."

"You've been working hard with the kids, haven't you? Use this well," she said sternly, causing Yuta to laugh.

He patted her head. "I will, cutie."

For some reason, seeing the smile that graced her lips was enough to make his heart hammer dangerously against his chest.

The night of Rowoon's birthday party, everyone in the orphanage was seated in the dining room together with some of Rowoon's friends (Minjae included) as he blew out the candles on his cake.

The table erupted in cheers when Jaehyun spread cream on the little boy's nose, causing him to burst into a fit of giggles.

Yuta smiled. Birthdays were always a big thing in the Neo House, for both the children and eight adults alike. But for some reason that night, Yuta couldn't help but to keep looking towards the main door, as though afraid to miss it if anyone were to open it.

"Waiting for someone?" Taeyong whispered from beside him.

"What? No." Yuta leaned in his seat, keeping his gaze on the little boys before him as they opened Rowoon's presents together.

"Sure, keep telling yourself-" The doorbell rang, interrupting Taeyong's sentence before he could complete it, with Yuta leaping out of his seat and rushing towards the door. "-that..." Taeyong muttered, shrugging before turning back to his food.

"Hi." Yuta was breathless as he greeted the girl he had been waiting for all night.

"Hey." Soyoung smiled warmly. "Sorry I'm late. I had to close the studio later than expected."

"Don't worry about it." Yuta opened the door wider to let her in, helping her with her coat and hanging it on the rack by the door. "Rowoon, guess who's here?"

The boy skidded towards the hall, hugging what seemed like a new toy truck with a few of his friends behind him. "Noona!"

"Happy birthday, Rowoon!" Soyoung crouched down to the little boy's height, ruffling his hair before handing him a wrapped box.

"Thank you!" The little boy grinned. "Noona, let's eat cake!"

Soyoung was dragged into the kitchen by the little boys before Yuta could even utter another word, and while he did want some alone time with the girl, he had to remember that it was his little brother's big day.