destiny

everyone on set, from madelyn to jonathan, thought that drew and i were destined to be together

everyone on set, from madelyn to jonathan, thought that drew and i were destined to be together. we listened to the same music, had the same sense of humor, enjoyed the same hobbies, and we constantly finished each other's sentences. they thought we couldn't be more perfect for each other.

drew and i finally decided to listen to our pestering friends and give dating a shot. we thought it would be completely harmless, and the worst thing that could happen is that we would just go back to being friends.

i shortly realized how incompatible we were. before, drew and i could talk for hours about anything and everything. when our first date came around and he couldn't get a word out, i realized we weren't as compatible as i thought.

we never discussed how uncomfortable the date was, so when he asked me out for a second time, i was shocked. i reluctantly agreed to go, hoping that the first date was awkward simply because we were nervous and that the second date would be smooth sailing.

on the day of our second date, i arrived at the restaurant an hour early because i couldn't sit at my house waiting in anticipation for a second longer. as i paced in front of the restaurant, i practiced conversations in my head. i thought about talking about the crazy weather. how his family is doing. literally anything to break the awkwardness.

my thoughts were brought to a halt when i noticed drew walking up to me. "hey, you're early," he announced, forcing a laugh. i felt my heart drop to my stomach, knowing that this date wasn't going to be any different.

i faked a laugh in response and gave him a side hug. "yeah, i hit all green lights on the way here. it's good to see you," i replied, fighting the urge to cringe.

as we walked in and he spoke to the hostess, i was thanking god that we were brought to our table immediately. sitting down, we both instantly focused all of our attention on the menu. i pretended to scan the pages, even though i already knew what i wanted to order.

drew coughed sipping on his water, and it broke my attention away from reading. "did you say something?" i asked, raising my eyebrows.

he shook his head in response and answered, "no, sorry. just went down the wrong pipe." i nodded back in understanding, and i went back to fake reading the menu.

the silence was so deafening, i could hear the dishes clinking together in the restaurant's kitchen and the gossip from the next table over. apparently someone's husband cheated on them.

i fidgeted in my seat, cracking my fingers and adjusting the silverware. i could feel drew watch me be an anxious mess. i attempted to avoid any form of eye contact with him praying that i could avoid any awkward small talk.

as the silent time passed by, i watched drew grow more impatient too. both of our heads snapped up, and we said in unison, "this is so awkward."

i felt the tension in the air fade, and the familiar sound of laughter coming from drew made the weight fall off my shoulders. "thank god you feel the same way. what is wrong with us?" i asked, throwing my head back in relief.