caught my eye

my best friend madelyn was throwing a surprise birthday party at her house for her co-star, drew starkey

my best friend madelyn was throwing a surprise birthday party at her house for her co-star, drew starkey. i had never met him before, but she always said that she wanted to set us up. i was fresh out of a relationship, and i wasn't ready for anything yet. walking around the house, it was packed full of people, so i could definitely tell drew was well loved.

"y/n, he'll be here in a few minutes. i know 'you're not ready yet' but it wouldn't hurt to talk to him to see if you guys could hit it off. i know you guys would be so cute together," madelyn said to me. i heard in her voice how badly she wanted for us to get together. i had seen him on her instagram a few times, and he was cute, but i had gotten out of a two-year relationship three months ago. i didn't feel like i was ready to be thrown to the wolves yet.

"we'll see. i'll talk to him, but i won't promise anything," i stated, waving my finger at her. she clapped her hands together in joy before announcing to the party, "he'll be here soon, so it's time to start hiding, everyone!"

i hid behind the couch while madelyn waited at the door, looking out the window every few seconds to see if he had finally pulled into the driveway. after switching off the lights and waiting for a minute, a pair of bright headlines shone through the windows. i watched through the living room window as he sauntered up to the front door. he was really tall.

madelyn opened the front door and turned the lights on as everyone popped up and yelled, "surprise! happy birthday!" drew took a step back in shock and held his stomach as he laughed, "oh my god. thank you, guys!" madelyn and drew gave each other a quick hug as he went around, and he said his thanks to everyone at the party.

walking over to madelyn, i silently muttered, "you didn't tell me he was tall." she grinned at my comment and jokingly shoved my shoulder, "did i not tell you he was your type? i may be a lot of things, but a liar is not one of them." her response made me chuckle.

i walked over to the bar area, grabbed a glass of champagne, and sipped on it as i looked across the party. i can't imagine this many people showing up to my birthday party; i could count all of my friends on one hand. i suddenly choked on my champagne after i was caught off guard by drew tapping me on the shoulder. "oh my god," i choked out, coughing after the bubbles got caught in my throat.

"sorry, i didn't mean to scare you," drew, faintly laughing at my reaction. turning around and looking at him, his large frame towered over mine. his presence intimidated me.

"no, you're alright. i usually know how to swallow," i remarked. the realization of my comment hit me after drew started to chuckle, and it caused me to stand there completely mortified and my cheeks grew red with embarrassment. "oh my god. i'm so sorry. i just meant that i choked on my drink."

his laugh got even louder the longer i rambled, and at that point, i wish i knew to shut up sometimes. "i knew what you meant. it's all good," he chuckled, "i don't think we've ever met; i'm drew." i stared at his large hand sticking out at me before i shook it firmly. i think i started to get lost in his eyes because i was standing there like an idiot, shaking his hand for an uncomfortably long time.