crush culture

after a few months of working with drew on set i was starting to understand what the hype was about

after a few months of working with drew on set i was starting to understand what the hype was about. we had been filming season 4 of outer banks and i was his pogue nemesis in the new season. our scenes together consisted of us yelling at each other and him trying to kill me. despite the intense energy, every time a scene ended between us drew flipped a switch and the menacing look on his face turned into a soft boyish one and he ran to check on me.

i started to see him in a different light once he began to show me this sweeter side to him. it was nearly impossible to fight the blush rising in my cheeks whenever he asked me if i was okay after a scene of him waving a knife in my face.

it was the morning of an important scene between drew and i. when i read the script that morning, i couldn't help but get nervous. in the script i received, the hatred our characters felt for each other began to fade, and they started to work together to find the treasure and the episode ended with our characters sharing an intimate kiss. when i read the line of the kiss we were going to share, i was all too anxious to leave my trailer.

i had been told i needed to be on set in 10 minutes and i spent most of it pacing in my trailer, nervous that my kiss with drew would amplify the feelings i was already beginning to have for him.

i was taken out of my trance by a knock on my trailer door. walking over to open it, i was greeted by none other than drew.

"you alright, y/n?" he asked me. his soft eyes too caring.

"yeah, just a bit nervous for today. big scene," i replied, shrugging my shoulders, struggling to make eye contact with him. i felt my hands clam up at my sides.

"let's run some lines. maybe it'll help you loosen up a bit," he said, picking up the script and getting into character.

that was the last thing i wanted to do with him. i nodded, but i knew i wanted to do anything but focus on staring at his lips. i knew i'd be a mess. and of course he started with the line at the top of the page of our big kiss.

drew's body language quickly fell into rafe's. he was one of the most impressive actors i have ever worked with. no one could have ever fit the role of rafe quite like him. "i can't believe we finally found the gold," drew exclaimed, running his hands through his hair out of shock.

"are you going to take it for yourself again?" i questioned, folding my arms across my chest in apprehension.

"sam, i told you that i wanted to change. i'm trying here," he stressed, reaching his hands out to place them on my shoulders, "i want you to believe me when i said we're in this together."

"i know, we've come this far. i'm sorry. it's just hard sometimes to believe you've changed," i say, giving up my feelings of doubt.

"i understand that it's hard for you to trust me. i hope you know i'm working on it. we make a pretty great team, sam," he said, taking a step forward and deepening his look into my eyes. his gaze caused my legs to feel like jelly.

"rafe, deep down you always had it in you. you just needed someone to believe it," i replied, taking a step closer to him, bringing our bodies within reach of each other.

"i needed you to believe in me. that's all i've ever wanted you to say. i didn't need the gold, i needed you," he said, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear. this movement caused my breath to hitch.

"you're a kook and i'm a pogue. how is this going to work?" i asked, bringing my face merely inches away from him.

"i'd make anything work for you," he whispered, crashing our lips together. we dropped the scripts and brought our hands to each others faces. molding our lips together in synchronization, our bodies melted into each other. he tangled his fingers in my hair and mine were grasping at the shirt on his back. the longer we kissed, the more i knew we weren't acting anymore.

it was real. my feelings for him were real. i had a crush on drew starkey.