love & lattes

i uncomfortably shifted in my chair as i tapped on the table to keep calm

i uncomfortably shifted in my chair as i tapped on the table to keep calm. i matched with a guy named jacob on a dating app, and he was running 40 minutes late to our date because he was "having car problems." i had an awful gut feeling that i was just being stood up.

i watched the fancy businessmen file in and out on their lunch break, carrying expensive laptops and briefcases. i kept myself entertained by keeping a tally for every black coffee i heard ordered. guys are so predictable.

once the lunch rush died down, it was just me and a few other people sitting in the coffee shop. i periodically checked my phone, hoping to see a text message from jacob telling me that he was on his way. i told myself that i would leave after i finished my matcha, but i continued to sit there, slurping down the melted ice cubes. if i could still drink it, i could still wait, i told myself.

i felt pathetic for giving him the benefit of the doubt, and i felt a lump form in my throat. i tried choking it down because my new year's resolution was that i wasn't going to cry over guys anymore. as i felt the warm tears pool in my eyes, i heard a jingle of the coffee shop door opening.

looking up, i sighed with relief and smiled, thinking that it was jacob walking through the door. i slumped back in my chair once i realized it was just another business guy walking into the building.

i checked my phone one last time and ultimately felt defeated after i read the time and saw i had been waiting for almost an hour. i attempted to cheer myself up by silently laughing at the guy who walked in, ordering himself a black coffee.

"was that funny?" he questioned me, making my head snap up in horror. the grin was quickly wiped off my face. i swallowed and stared at him, wide-eyed, not knowing what to say back. i didn't think he had heard me laugh at myself.

i shook my head. i couldn't get any words out. "and i'll also take a croissant for my friend over here," he said, nodding his head in my direction. terror overtook my face.

after he finished paying, he strolled over to my table, which made me quickly sit up straight. "why did you order me something?" i interrogated him, my eyebrows furrowed.

he sat there, looking all business-y. it bothered me. "i work across the street, and i've watched you sit here for the past hour, checking the door every two seconds," he stated, waving his hands out at me like what he said wasn't the most obvious answer.

i folded my arms across my chest in defensiveness. "i don't know what you're talking about," i ranted, my nostrils flaring. who does this guy think he is?

he leaned back in his chair and stared at me, his eyebrows raised in disbelief. "so you're telling me you haven't been stood up on a date," he gazed, squinting his eyes at me like he was trying to get an answer out of me.

i gawked at his bold statement. "excuse me? do you always talk to strangers like this?" i asked, staring at him, feeling offended that a random guy made me feel like this.

the barista brought over my croissant and his black coffee, and he thanked her before blurting out, "no, only the cute ones." his matter-of-fact statement blew me away.

my eyes rolled into the back of my head. "first of all, you don't even know my name," i said, pointing my finger in the air, "and second of all, that was the worst pickup line i've ever heard."

the words i spoke didn't seem to phase him because he sat there, satisfied with himself, sipping his black coffee. "i'm drew," he smirked, sticking his hand out to shake. i glared at his hand and looked back up at him, dumbfounded.

i blatantly ignored him introducing himself. i shook my head and blurted out, "why were you watching me for the past hour, anyway?"

he threw his hands up in defensiveness, "so many questions. can a guy not buy a girl a croissant to cheer her up?" he raised his eyebrow in curiosity and said, "you also haven't told me your name yet."

i exhaled in annoyance, my tongue pressed into my cheek, "if you don't mind, i'm waiting on my date. he'll be here any minute." i knew i was lying straight through my teeth, but i couldn't handle how badly he was upsetting me. his furrowed eyebrows showed me he knew i was lying, but he accepted my words.

he nodded quickly and brought his lips into a thin line. he stood up, grabbed his coffee, and pushed his chair in. "hope the croissant cheers you up," he muttered, before walking out the coffee shop door.

hearing the doorbell jingle behind me, i sat there with thoughts swirling in my head. before i knew it, my feet were carrying me out the door. "drew, wait," i stammered, shocked at myself that i had run after him.

he stopped in his tracks, and he hesitantly turned his body to face me. "yeah?" he asked, making me all the more nervous.

i was too far gone, and i knew i had to let go of my ego. "i'm sorry. you're right, i was stood up. does that make you happy?" i responded, huffing in defeat.

he shook his head and started walking towards me, "absolutely not. it makes me sad." his words made me regret running outside to him. i didn't want some stranger to feel bad for me, i wasn't a charity case.

my jaw tightened in anger, and i glared at his piercing blue eyes. "i didn't ask for your pity, but thanks," i spit out, turning my feet away from him.

his mouth fell open in exasperation. "that's not what i meant," he said, taking a step closer to me, "it made me sad because any guy would be lucky to be out with someone as beautiful as you. he's an idiot for standing you up. i know this because i couldn't keep my eyes off you the second you stepped into the coffee shop."

i drew my head back in shock, hating how i felt my chest swirl from his words. "i don't know what to say," i stuttered, unable to formulate a coherent response. a shiver ran down my spine, as someone had never been this open with me before.

"you think i could bear to sit there and watch you check your phone a billion times? no, i knew i had to do something about it or i'd regret it," he spat out, almost out of breath. his hysteria made me stare at him with wide eyes.

i didn't know what else to say, so i ultimately said, "hi, i'm y/n." my response broke him out of his crazed trance, and it caused him to chuckle and look down at the ground in disbelief.

he stuck his hand back out at me and responded with, "hi, y/n. i'm drew." i grinned at him and firmly shook his hand. we both giggled at our humorous interaction.

"it's nice to meet you, drew," i said, my lips curling in amusement. a smile from ear to ear was planted on his face. i felt like a little kid again with how giggly he and i were being.

"would you like to go on a date sometime?" he asked, happiness radiating off his body. i quickly nodded in response, feeling butterflies in my stomach. my whole body felt like it was on fire.

"great! does...," he trailed off, looking down at his watch, "now, sound good?" looking back up at me, he had a shit-eating grin. i chuckled at his expression.

"yeah, now sounds about good," i responded, my mouth curving into a smile. he drew his lower lip between his teeth to try to conceal a giggle.

he grabbed my hand and led me back into the coffee shop for our very first date.