Chapter Sixteen: Fire and Rane

Rosalyn laid beside running water, the mist from the falls coating her skin.Opening her eyes, she looked up into a beautiful ivory face.

Althia Everheart smiled down at her daughter. Rosalyn looked into the dark eyes full of laughter. "Well, I have to agree with Rowena's assessment. Mr. Ashford is a stubborn old man," she laughed and shook her head, "but he knows more of the Seven's history than any other. You'd be wise to pay attention to him and not Mr. Connall during class, love."

Rosalyn laughed and sat up. "But Kallon is much better to look at. Wouldn't you agree, Mother?" She wiggled her eyes playfully.

Althia's gaze shifted to her husband and son. On the rocky banks, the pair sparred energetically. Swords clashed in the sunlight. "I would agree, much easier said than done." She reached for her daughter's hair and began to braid. "Alex, sweetheart, your father is able to exploit your weak side. Adjust your stance. Show him, dear."

"Your mother's right," he said. In a low voice he added, "But let's not make a huge deal about it. She likes that."

Alex laughed.

"We can hear you, Father," Rosalyn said with a giggle.

"Xander, it happens too often for me to make too much of a fuss about it," Althia smiled wryly at her husband.

Alexander looked up and winked at his daughter before tapping Alex's foot with his sword. "Square this." He tapped his knee. "Bend more here." He poked his chest. "Straighten up." He stood back and studied his son's stance. He ran his fingers through his brown hair, "Now," he said before swinging his sword over his head and toward his son.

Alex blocked it and the dance began. Rosalyn enjoyed the feel of her mother's fingers in her hair as she watched her brother and father practice.

Althia tied back her hair and leaned in to whisper in her ear. "You need to practice, too, my darling." She kissed her cheek lightly and handed her her sword.

"Yes, Mother." Rosalyn stood and pulled on her chest protector and cuffs. Althia moved to rise. Flattening the dress to her stomach, she cupped the small bump that Rosalyn hadn't noticed before.

"Mother-," she began as a bell tolled in the distance. The clash of swords stopped abruptly and the smell of fire burned her nostrils.

"Father, what is going-," Alex began to ask. Alexander grabbed his son and exchanged a look with his wife.

Althia grabbed her arm and shook her, "Rosalyn! Rosalyn! We have to go!"

Rosalyn awoke with Rowena over her bed, shaking her awake. "We have to go," she repeated.

"What's going on?" Rosalyn's voice cracked as the dream faded into reality.

Alex bursted through the door. "Let's go!"

Still dazed, she jumped up and tied her robe around her quickly. "Where are we going?" she demanded.

"The council has called an emergency meeting." His face was stoic, but his sisters felt his concern.

Rowena looked at him with wide eyes, "What for?"

Alex sent her a blank look. "I don't know. Let's go."

They ran out of their quarters and met up with the others in the hall. Memories stirred, running a chill up her spine. She hiked her robe up and ran toward Guard's Hall.

The guard filed into the room, the council already sitting in their allotted seats. Alex's eyes fell on Rane's empty chair. He approached the head table. "Her Majesty? Where is she?"