Chapter Thirteen: Sunflowers

The summer heat had relented its grasp on the land, giving way to a beautiful and colorful Autumn in Evenara. Mornings and evenings were developing a cool bite, making Rane wary of the bitter winter that likely lay ahead.

But she pushed the thought of her mind and directed her attention back to the man in front of her who spoke excitedly about the success of his corn. "It pleases me to hear such, and I'm sure our Mrs. Buchanan will be after you for a supply."

"Oh, aye." The man still beamed. "She's already been in touch. Good day to you, Your Majesty." He bowed deeply and scurried back to his cart.

The small village was alive and bustling as everyone prepared for the festival. This year marked the first Autumn's End Festival since the fall of Rane's parents and the Queen's Guard.

Flanked by two guards, she walked through the cobblestone streets lined with quaint houses, some made of brick, others made of stone. Women fussed over clothing, tapestry, ribbons, and other various handcrafted items that they would display and sell at the festival. Some men moved benches and fire wood down the hill, while others carried down fall flowers, hay, gourds, and other autumn harvests to the meadow.

Though it was days away yet, Rane wanted to be assured the festival was going to be as perfect and as grand as it had been all those years ago. She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. She could almost smell the scent of woodsmoke and food roasting over fires and boiling in large pots. She could hear the laughter of children playing their games and the sound of women and men conversing and laughing together. She could see her parents smiling as they danced amongst the crowd.

Yes, she would bring back security to her people and the laughter and happiness that came with that luxury. Releasing her breath, she opened her eyes and saw Alex walking toward her.

She saw he hadn't changed from the morning's training, only rid himself of his protective layer and undone a few of the buttons on his shirt. His hair that had once been neatly buzzed had grown, the brown tousled waves falling across his forehead and to his ears.

"Let's take a walk. He spoke softly and reached for her hand.

He was close enough she could smell him, the subtle scent of sweat and grass, of man. It was intoxicating. He was intoxicating.

She smiled but refused his arm. "Not out here, Alexander. There are people everywhere." She glanced at the two men that exported her.

He withdrew his outstretched arm. "I don't know why it matters. Don't you want to take a walk with me?"

She glanced around to make sure no one was looking. "You know I do."

"Come on. Just this once." He moved in to embrace her, but she evaded.

"Alexander!" She giggled. She wondered if she would ever get to the point when his charm or his beauty didn't affect her so. They had been seeing each other in secret for months now, and Rane couldn't recall a time that she had been happier.

"Walk with me," he insisted, but she just tilted her head back to the men ten yards away, attempting to look anywhere but at the two of them. "Allow me."

He winked at her and her heart fluttered. "Excuse me, gentlemen." He spoke with authority as he approached the men, who stood still. "I have some urgent and private business I must discuss with Her Majesty. I'll release you of your duty and make sure she is safely returned to the castle."

The men eyed each other warily before glancing at Rane. She bit her lip to hold in a chuckle and nodded an approval.

"Your Majesty," the men said and bowed before turning back toward the castle.