Chapter Two: The Dilemma

The next day, Rosalyn paced the kitchen and great room with a phone at her ear. She waved her hands animatedly as she talked to the person on the other line. She let out a series of yeses, uh-huhs, and all rights, then walked briskly back down the hall.

Rowena sat cross-legged on the floor in front of the couch in jogging pants and a cut-off T-shirt. She mindlessly chomped on gum, as the bubbly music of Mario Kart filled the room.

Alex sat on the couch, staring at the T.V. with the same intensity as his sister. Leaning forward, he rested his elbows on his knees. Both had Nintendo 64 controllers in their hands and were completely engrossed in the colorful game on the screen.

"Sheesh. I'm finna smoke you, Bro. You've obviously lost your touch, soldier." Rowena taunted Alex after Princess Peach slipped Donkey Kong a banana.

He just smiled. He had her right where he wanted her. Just a few more maneuvers and then-. Before he could finish his thought, Princess Peach shot past the finish line beating Donkey Kong by mere inches and did a celebratory spin as the ranks came up on the screen.

Rowena hopped up and headed toward the refrigerator. She grabbed a can of diet soda and popped it open. Alex sat staring at the screen in disbelief.

"Sweet victory," Rowena took a sip of soda and let out an aghhh. "That's four out of five."

"Again," Alex demanded as Rosalyn entered the room again, holding a finger in the air, signaling them to be quiet.

"You're sure?" she skeptically asked the person on the receiving line. "Wow," she exclaimed, "and there absolutely is a reservation under the name Campbell?" She looked up and shook her head in disbelief. "Thank you so much for your help. Mhmm. You, too. Wait! How do you say it?" She laughed softly and sounded it out. "Kane-gail-teh?" Laughing harder, she said, "We all lost the bet on that one. Gaelic, yes? I thought so. O.K. Thanks again! Yes, ma'am, you too!"

She hung up the phone and looked into the faces waiting for an explanation. "I have double and triple checked with the airline, Ceangailte Castle, and even the Allaway Children's Charity. It all seems to be legit."

Alex rose from his seat. "This isn't over," he pointed a finger at Rowena. He grabbed his own soda from the fridge and handed one to Rosalyn. "So, what do you think? Y'all going?"

"I don't know," she said and paused, furrowing her brows and studying the soda can as if it held the answers. "Wait. Y'all? You're on leave?"

"You have to apply to leave the country way ahead of time," Alex said. "It's a whole ordeal."

"That's right," Rosalyn said, surprised by her own disappointment, knowing she wouldn't have the courage to go without him.

"You two could still go," he encouraged.

"Without you? I don't know. Do you really think that would be a good idea? I mean, do you remember Mom and Dad ever talking about Allaway?" Rosalyn asked. Her brows were still knit together as she puzzled over the invite. "It all seems fishy." She shook her head. "Unless," she all but shouted, "you have something to do with this? My birthday!" She narrowed her eyes to study him.

"I can't take credit for this one," he replied.

"Leave it to you to overthink things," Rowena said. "Free trip to Scotland? Let's go!"

Alex laughed, "Leave it to you to underthink things. Do you even have a passport?"

"Ha ha. You're funny." Rowena jumped up and sat on the counter. "And yes, I do. Remember the two weeks we spent in Italy and France four summers ago, idiot." She looked imploringly at her sister. "Come on, Miss Spontaneity, loosen up. Live a little."