The Mini Skirt

arabella - arctic monkeys

☆☾

Remus Lupin still can't believe it. What are the chances that he will end up in a London pub with Olivia, his student, playing English rock classics? None.

But that is perhaps the whole ambiguity of their relationship, whatever it is. Remus and Olivia don't stand a chance, at first sight. But it seems that something or someone seems to think the opposite and that the forces of the universe are doing everything to thwart the impossible.

Olivia is extraordinary. He would never have thought that of her; to be a musician, to perform on stage, to look so comfortable in front of the public, so sensual, with her bangs and her black boots. And yet. Olivia looks almost unreal from the top of the stage.

Remus only has eyes for her. For her arrogant smirk, for her red lips, for the way she closes her eyes and lives the music, for her surprisingly sensual voice when she accompanies the singer at certain moments, for everything, in fact. For her, mostly.

For each song, Remus orders another beer. He hates himself for being completely incapable of taking his eyes off her, for feeling this desire for her, this desire to have her just for him, in his hands. He wanted to get rid of everything he felt about her through alcohol. In vain, the liquid only duplicates his emotions.

After two covers of The Police; Message and a bottle and Roxanne, two of her personal favorites, the girls take on the Rolling Stones with Satisfaction. Remus observes how the crowd completely ignites at the first notes, and it instantly takes him back to his years at Hogwarts, where to this same music, he used to shout with his friends. A hint of nostalgia shines in his green eyes, as he starts another beer. He sighs. Those days are far behind him now.

Remus is brought out of his thoughts as the music comes to an end.

"Good evening everyone," Remus tenses at these words. This voice. Her voice. A shiver runs down his spine. "We hope you are all having a great time"

The crowd shouts happiness and the brunette giggles. Remus could melt right here, right now, hearing her laugh.

"As regulars know, we always end our concerts with the same music, because we're in fucking England, for god's sake!" Everyone laughs and the crowd applauds and some are whistling. "Hit it!"

The first notes of "Come on Eileen" by the group Dexys Midnight Runners resonate and the crowd almost goes into a trance. Remus sneers. It's been a long time since he heard this song.

Come on Eileen, oh I swear

At this moment, you mean everything

You in that dress, oh my thoughts I confess

Verge on dirty

Ah come on Eileen

Remus feels like this song speaks to him more than normal. As if it was speaking his thoughts, his forbidden, immoral thoughts, about her, about her student. He buries his face in his hands, far too drunk, and downs the last of his beer.

A dilemma confronts him. Should he wait for her and talk to her at the end of the concert? Should ? No, of course not, he knows full well, he shouldn't. But the desire to talk to her, to see her chocolate pupils and to smell her intoxicating vanilla scent again are much stronger than him. Man is weak in the face of temptation and very often, he succumbs.

As the four girls say goodbye to the crowd, Remus walks out, staggering slightly. The frozen air does him good. He leans against the wall near the door and takes out a cigarette which he lights with difficulty, his fingers still bandaged. His head tilts back and he watches the smoke disappear under the light of the lamppost.