Chapter Four

**Not edited or proofread!**

Kaecee

Drew knocked on my door later that evening with a bouquet of red roses in his hand. My cheeks flushed, and my heart swelled in my chest.

Could this man be any more perfect?

"They're beautiful," I breathed when he held them out to me. A smile pulled at my lips. "Thank you."

He shrugged and rocked back on his heels. "Beautiful flowers for a beautiful woman." He inclined his head behind me. "Why don't you go put those in a vase so we can get out of here?"

Smiling, I headed inside, quickly found a vase to put them in, and then walked out, making sure to firmly close the door behind me. Ever since Bax had gotten out that one time, I had a fear of it happening again.

When we got outside of the barn, Drew grabbed my hand in his and walked to the back of his truck instead of getting in it. I frowned in confusion. "Where are we going?"

He pulled a picnic basket out the back that had a blanket folded on top. "We're having a picnic. I commandeered one of Grayson's fields for the evening."

I arched a brow at him. "Commandeered?" I teased.

A quiet chuckle escaped his lips. "Okay, he gave me permission."

My smile widened. With that, I allowed him to lead me to whatever field he'd chosen for the night for us to have our picnic in.

~*~*~

I stared up at the stars, a wistful sigh escaping my lips. Life out here was perfect. I'd always known I needed something different. My soul wasn't made for the city like my parents. I was made for this. I needed peace and tranquility.

"What are you thinking about so hard over there?" Drew softly asked me, his fingers playing with mine.

"How at peace my soul is right now."

He looked over at me, and I did the same, our eyes connecting. "This place," he finally said, looking back up at the stars, "there's just something about it. You don't need family here if you don't have it because the town? They'll become your family."

I swallowed thickly. I knew that, too. Heck, some of the older generation in this town were better and more attentive than my own parents.

"I love this place." Tears burned at my eyes. "I never want to leave."

Drew gently squeezed my hand. "So, don't."

It was never going to be that easy because my parents had a way of eventually twisting me to do whatever they wanted. But at least I got the time to experience true inner peace before they did.

"It's not that simple. I wish it was," I confessed, not taking my eyes off the stars.

Drew gently gripped my chin and turned my head to face him. "You're grown, Kaecee. Your parents can't force you to do anything you don't want to do."

I laughed, but there was no humor in it. He didn't understand the power my parents held. They could bar me from working as a veterinarian until I came back home to do their bidding for them again.

"Life is never that simple for me, Drew." My voice was hoarse as I spoke, the telltale sign of tears clogging my throat.

Drew rolled onto his side, and he cupped my cheek, his thumb brushing right beneath my eye. "I won't let them, sweetheart. I won't let them rip this from you, you hear me? You won't ever have to leave. I'll make sure that."

I really wish people didn't make promises they weren't sure if they could keep, but I appreciated the thought of his words anyway.

And instead of talking about it further, I just nodded and looked away. But he pulled my face back to his, his eyes boring into mine. "I mean it, Kaecee. You're part of this town now. Everyone knows you and loves you. If you think me or them will let your parents come in here and ruin everything you're building for yourself, you're wrong. And I know I will fight them every step of the way on your behalf."

With that, he lowered his lips to mine and wiped my mind of any fear and worry gnawing at me.